How Many Photons Does the Sun Emit Daily?

In summary: You have the total energy output of the sun in J and the energy of a single photon in J. Can you think of how you might use these quantities to find the number of photons?In summary, the sun emits 3x10^32 J of energy every day, with each photon of yellow light having an energy of 3.3x10^-19 J. To find the number of photons emitted by the sun in a day, we can divide the total energy output (3x10^32 J) by the energy of a single photon (3.3x10^-19 J), which gives us an answer of 9.1x10^51 photons.
jpartdq

Homework Statement

The sun emits 3x1032J of energy every day. Assume it emits only yellow light (6x10-7m wavelength. a. What is the energy of each photon of yellow light? b. How many photons does the sun emit every day?

Homework Equations

E = hf

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think I have question A complete, my solution is the following.
F = (3x108 m/s)/(6x10-7 m) = 5x1014 Hz
H = (6.6x10-34Js)
E=h*f (6.6x10-34Js)(5x1014Hz) = 3.3x10-19 J
Or E = 2 eV

But problem B I am stumped. I don't even know where to begin to figure this out. Can anyone help put me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
You computed the energy of a single photon in J. You have the total energy output of the sun (n photons) in a day also in J. You seem pretty close to an answer.

So the answer is 9.9x1013 photons?

If you multiply 3x1032J and 3.3x10-19 J/photon, the result is 9.9x10^13 J2/photon.

Those units, J2/photon, do not make any sense. So no, that is not it.

Since the question asks for the number of photons, you're looking for an answer with units of "photons" in it.

Related to How Many Photons Does the Sun Emit Daily?

1. What are photons emitted by the sun?

Photons emitted by the sun are tiny packets of energy that are constantly released by the sun as a form of electromagnetic radiation. They are the primary form of energy that travels from the sun to Earth and make up what we see as sunlight.

2. How are photons emitted by the sun created?

Photons emitted by the sun are created through a process called nuclear fusion. This is when hydrogen atoms in the sun's core combine to form helium atoms, releasing a tremendous amount of energy in the form of photons.

3. How long does it take for photons emitted by the sun to reach Earth?

Photons emitted by the sun take approximately 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach Earth. This is because the distance between the sun and Earth is about 93 million miles and light travels at a speed of about 186,282 miles per second.

4. What happens to photons emitted by the sun when they reach Earth?

When photons emitted by the sun reach Earth, they can be absorbed, reflected, or scattered by different materials in the atmosphere. This is what gives us the different colors we see in the sky and on objects when the sun is shining.

5. Can we harness the energy from photons emitted by the sun?

Yes, we can harness the energy from photons emitted by the sun through the use of solar panels. Solar panels convert the energy from sunlight into electricity that can be used to power homes, buildings, and other devices.