How Many Light Years Must a Neutrino Travel for Observable Interactions?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the volume of a cylinder's cross section and the number of interactions within it for neutrinos traveling a light year. It is mentioned that only one in 10^12 neutrinos actually interact, reducing the volume to 10^-48. The conversation then discusses the process for calculating the number of light years a neutrino would have to travel, with the suggestion to divide the area by the volume and convert to light-years.
andydan1056

Homework Statement

https://gm1.ggpht.com/EOgEamclEBUKwVrnxKngFGdqUbOp0GW0TtjQoScZXstPwArYvPID2fM_YB2D_XJWKH1Ci-jnUNqegAMdVPP8yCTfqzo7yoWY0GLRSpZQGnFgJEAfCSxTp7iBJSOGLU0T6ibIDUjyh8eR54LKZgQGAxuBg-gKsocOW2zow-W4wffzBfSHzfAtHEipIDJqV700k6c4OqZG7HH_d4V9sJ_ioT8ddOgdBcSqVSCG7ZYxd8drNw-ylQ-MsE75HXv5a6jpjIJTJ0VynN2M4v6YU8Y05mfNnNaOngEIXxgBue90U3E9A1ANn7ZOMVC9w_GlFMqi4jsmypzV91FOJ4ucU-N5NM8EoWifYczWvV9jC1nXJB3pMNZJ7OFA1YaZTyLlvEQ8xeVn_fptYT8_7EE720PbKMRO85Rqoz_XP-1_ZiNpotXKk5hf-cB_5flXYR4BLAM2Lcl1Sz3D9b80AgFZCtE4Oe5TSE8nLPy6mzIgN7e92uqQayUvyLMu_2H2lBu7xqL8nahwYh8q3kFy7d14iKyAYpg0KGGCOfP_i3P6FUtg70zP_xRSkRS36970vC2zvgQFhPUkLnXIuncXYjUgssSiILhwIl8Vjb-AUjPntefKrgDv3K_vdEhpeTLvi10=w1256-h483-l75-ft

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the volume of a cylinder's cross section and one light year: 10^-36 m^2 (9.46 x 10^15 m) = 9.46 x 10^-21 m^3 = 9.46 x 10^-15 cm^3.

Then I calculated the number of interactions in that cylinder: 6.02 x 10^23 x 11 (9.46 x 10^-15 cm^3) = 6.626 x 10^10 interactions per light year.

How do I calculate the light years a neutrino would have to travel?

Could someone show me the process?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What happened to the ##10^{-12}## ?

BvU said:
What happened to the ##10^{-12}## ?
What 10^−12?

Only one in ##10^{12}## neutrinos actually interact. this reduces the ##10^{-36}## to ##10^{-48}##.
Fortunately there are three quarks inside every nucleon ... :smile:

BvU said:
Only one in ##10^{12}## neutrinos actually interact. this reduces the ##10^{-36}## to ##10^{-48}##.
Fortunately there are three quarks inside every nucleon ... :smile:
Thanks. I'm still not sure how to calculate the number of light years?

You have ##N_A * 11 * 3 * 10^{-48} * 10^{6}## area in 1 cm3. I suppose you want 0.5 cm2 so you need a lot of cm. How many ? Divide one by the other and convert to light-years.

Let me know what comes out and if that's in the right ball-park

Last edited:

Related to How Many Light Years Must a Neutrino Travel for Observable Interactions?

What is a neutrino?

A neutrino is a type of subatomic particle that has no electric charge and a very small mass. It is one of the fundamental particles that make up the universe and is believed to be created in nuclear reactions, such as those that occur in the sun.

How do scientists estimate the distance of a neutrino?

Scientists estimate the distance of a neutrino by measuring the time it takes for the neutrino to travel from its source to a detector. This time can be calculated by using the speed of light and the known energy of the neutrino.

What are some challenges in estimating the distance of neutrinos?

One of the main challenges in estimating the distance of neutrinos is that they have a very small mass and interact very weakly with other particles. This makes it difficult to detect them and accurately measure their properties.

Why is it important to estimate the distance of neutrinos?

Estimating the distance of neutrinos is important because it can provide valuable information about the source of the neutrinos and the processes that produce them. This can help us better understand the structure and evolution of the universe.

What are some potential applications of accurately estimating the distance of neutrinos?

Accurately estimating the distance of neutrinos can have various applications, such as in the study of astrophysics, nuclear physics, and cosmology. It can also help in developing new technologies, such as neutrino telescopes, which can provide insights into the inner workings of stars and other celestial bodies.