How many kilocalories per gram are there in a 5.00-g peanut?

• Thread starter ChiralSuperfields
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Per
In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of heat lost by a nut when burned in a calorimeter. The solution involves using the equation ##Q_{nut} + Q_{w} = 0## and considering the calorimeter to be ideal, meaning that the heat generated by burning the nut is used to raise the temperature of the water and the aluminum container. The expert summarizer explains that the mistake in the method used was not taking into account the heat absorbed by the aluminum container in addition to the water.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Conservation of energy
For this,
1680400542713.png

The solution is,

1680400350012.png

However, I am not sure why they did part(a) like that. I thought we would do it like this:

##Q_{nut} + Q_{w} = 0## since calorimeter is ideal so energy is conserved in the nut-water system
##Q_{nut} =-Q_{w}##
##Q_{nut} = -(0.500)(4184)(54.9) = -1.15 \times 10^5 J##

Therefore, the heat lost by the nut is ##Q_{nut} = 1.15 \times 10^5 J = 27.45 \frac{kcal}{5.00g} = 5.49 \frac{kcal}{g}##

However, I don't understand their method for part(a), is there a mistake in mine?Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you misunderstood the measurement. For part (a) you generate heat ##Q## by burning 5 g of peanuts. The peanut at this point is gone but the heat is not. The heat is used to raise the temperature of two things, the water and the aluminum container which together form the calorimeter. It is these two that are assumed isolated from the rest of the world so that the heat ##Q## that is pumped into them goes into raising their common temperature by 54.9 °C. You misunderstood in what way the calorimeter is "ideal."

Likes MatinSAR and ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
I think you misunderstood the measurement. For part (a) you generate heat ##Q## by burning 5 g of peanuts. The peanut at this point is gone but the heat is not. The heat is used to raise the temperature of two things, the water and the aluminum container which together form the calorimeter. It is these two that are assumed isolated from the rest of the world so that the heat ##Q## that is pumped into them goes into raising their common temperature by 54.9 °C. You misunderstood in what way the calorimeter is "ideal."
Thank you for your reply @kuruman!

That is very helpful. I did not realize that the calorimeter included the aluminum container, so using my method I should have done ##Q_{nut} + Q_{w} + Q_{A1} = 0##

Yes.

Likes MatinSAR and ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
Yes.
Thank you for your help @kuruman!

Likes berkeman and kuruman