How Many Groups Exist with Order 24?

In summary, there are 15 non-isomorphic groups of order 24. An upper estimate for the number of non-isomorphic groups of order 24 is 2243. However, this is a weak bound and there may be more groups. One possible method for finding groups of order 24 is by using semidirect products. Another method is to use the number of partitions of 3 and 24, which gives a total of 3 abelian groups of order 24. In order to find non-abelian groups, it is necessary to find groups with a unique Sylow 2-subgroup and a non-normal Sylow 3-subgroup. These methods may not give an exhaustive list of all possible
charlamov
how would you estimate number of groups of order 24? i do not need exact number, it is 15.

I know that there are 5 groups of order 8 and there is 1 , 4 or maybe 7 sylow 3-groups. but i do not know what to do next

Physics news on Phys.org
charlamov said:
how would you estimate number of groups of order 24? i do not need exact number, it is 15.

I know that there are 5 groups of order 8 and there is 1 , 4 or maybe 7 sylow 3-groups. but i do not know what to do next

There are some easy non-Abelian groups of order 24. We know that S3 has order 6, so

S3 [itex]\bigoplus[/itex] Z4

and

S3 [itex]\bigoplus[/itex] Z2 [itex]\bigoplus[/itex] Z2

are non-Abelian groups of order 24. And of course so is S4.

You can do the same trick with the non-Abelian groups of order 8, summed with Z3

thanks, but i need some upper estimation of number of non-isomorphic groups of order 24 with some explanation.

charlamov said:
thanks, but i need some upper estimation of number of non-isomorphic groups of order 24 with some explanation.

There are 15 groups of order 24, up to isomorphism. I'm not aware of the precise classification; I just have the number in some old notes.

Number Nine said:
There are 15 groups of order 24, up to isomorphism. I'm not aware of the precise classification; I just have the number in some old notes.

"Proof by old notes!" One of the most effective proof techniques. Right up there with proof by vague recollection; proof by wild handwaving; proof by "It's obvious!" and proof by unsupported claim :-)
charlamov said:

It's easy to get an upper bound. The group operation is a function from G x G to G; that is, it's a subset of G x G x G. So there can be at most 2243 possible group operations. That's a pretty weak upper bound, but it is an upper bound.

Depending on the level that the question's being asked, that might be the answer. Perhaps they just want to see if you can come up with SOME upper bound that you can justify. And one way to attack any problem is to find SOME solution first, even a bad one; then try to find a better solution.

Last edited:
SteveL27 said:
"Proof by old notes!" One of the most effective proof techniques. Right up there with proof by vague recollection; proof by wild handwaving; proof by "It's obvious!" and proof by unsupported claim :-)

Keep that up and I won't share my elementary proof of the Goldbach conjecture.

proof by intimidation, proof by popular vote, proof by zero attendance, proof by impossible to follow argument (similar to wild handwaving), anyone, anyone, bueller?

algebrat said:
proof by intimidation, proof by popular vote, proof by zero attendance, proof by impossible to follow argument (similar to wild handwaving), anyone, anyone, bueller?

That just cost you an elementary proof of the Reimann Hypothesis (no complex analysis at all!)

EDIT: Google reveals that Wiki happens to have a list...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_group#Number_of_groups_of_a_given_order

charlamov said:
how many groups of order 24 are there? i need upper estimate with explanation. i know there are 15 of them but i need upper estimate with explanation, explanation is most important. maybe there can be useful that there are 5 groups of order 8.

As there are [itex]\,p(3)=3\,[/itex] partitions of 3, and [itex]\,24=2^3\cdot 3\,[/itex] , there are 3 non-isomorphic groups of order [itex]\,24\,[/itex].

As there are [itex]\,3\,[/itex] non-isomorphic non-abelian groups of order 8 there are at least 3 nonabelian groups of order 24, each containing one the above

groups of order 8 as Sylow 2-subgroup.

Now, I guess you can pick up some of them on the air: [itex]S_3\times C_4\,\,,\,S_3\times C_2\times C_2\,\,,\,A_4\times C_2\,\,,\,Q_8\times C_3\,\,,...[/itex] .

Check all these are non-isomorphic.

Of course, one can continue with semidirect products...for example, suppose there's a unique Sylow 2-subgroup [itex]\,P\,[/itex] , which is then normal, so

that we can take one of the Sylow 3-sbgsp. [itex]\,Q\,[/itex] and make it act on [itex]\,\operatorname{Aut}(P)\,[/itex] by conjugation: [tex]q\cdot x=: x^q=q^{-1}xq\,\,,\,q\in Q\,\,,\,x\in P[/tex]

It's not specially hard to see that this is a non-trivial action iff the group is non-abelian (which we can assume as the abelian

groups are already sorted out) and this gives us a non-abelian group different from the ones listed above.

In case [itex]\,P\,[/itex] is abelian we can also assume [itex]\,Q\,[/itex] is non normal.

DonAntonio

Ps The above is not, of course, an exhaustive listing neither of all the possible groups of order 24 nor of all the different constructions to ge them.

DonAntonio said:
As there are [itex]\,p(3)=3\,[/itex] partitions of 3, and [itex]\,24=2^3\cdot 3\,[/itex] , there are 3 non-isomorphic groups of order [itex]\,24\,[/itex]

Just to be clear (this was probably just a typo), it follows that there are 3 abelian groups of order 24.

Number Nine said:
Just to be clear (this was probably just a typo), it follows that there are 3 abelian groups of order 24.

Of course, thanks...and it was the mother of all typos, in fact.

DonAntonio

Related to How Many Groups Exist with Order 24?

1. How do you estimate the number of groups in a study?

To estimate the number of groups in a study, you can use statistical methods such as power analysis or sample size calculation. These methods take into account factors like the desired level of significance, effect size, and expected variability to determine the minimum number of groups needed to detect a significant difference.

2. Can you use a smaller number of groups in a study?

In some cases, a smaller number of groups may be sufficient for a study. However, this should only be done after careful consideration and justification. Using a smaller number of groups may limit the generalizability of the results and decrease the statistical power of the study.

3. How do you determine the appropriate sample size for the number of groups?

The appropriate sample size for the number of groups can be determined using power analysis or sample size calculation. These methods consider factors such as the desired level of significance, effect size, and expected variability to determine the minimum number of participants needed in each group.

4. Is there a maximum number of groups that should be used in a study?

There is no set maximum number of groups that should be used in a study. However, having too many groups may make it difficult to detect a significant difference between them. It is important to carefully consider the research question and the practical limitations before deciding on the number of groups to use.

5. How can you ensure that the number of groups in a study is appropriate?

To ensure that the number of groups in a study is appropriate, it is important to carefully consider the research question and the expected effect size. Additionally, conducting a power analysis or sample size calculation can help determine the minimum number of groups needed to detect a significant difference. Consulting with other researchers or experts in the field can also provide valuable insight on the appropriate number of groups for a study.