How many grams of Zn reacted in this reaction (very easy chemistry question)

In summary, the reaction between zinc and hydrochloric acid produces hydrogen gas. Using the ideal gas law, the moles of zinc and grams of zinc can be determined from the collected volume of hydrogen gas and the given temperature and pressure. However, it is important to take into account the vapor pressure of water to accurately calculate the moles of zinc and grams of zinc.
PhyIsOhSoHard

Homework Statement

The reaction between zinc and hydrochloric acid is carried out as a source of hydrogen gas in the laboratory:
[itex]Zn(s)+2 HCl(aq)\rightarrow ZnCl_2(aq)+H_2(g)[/itex]

If 325 mL of hydrogen gas is collected over water at 25°C at a total pressure of 748 mm Hg, how many grams of Zn reacted?

Homework Equations

[itex]PV=nRT[/itex]
[itex]M=\frac{m}{n}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Pressure in atmosphere:
[itex]\frac{748 mm Hg}{760 mm Hg/atm}=0.984 atm[/itex]

Moles of Zn:
[itex]n=\frac{PV}{RT}=\frac{0.984 atm\cdot 0.325 L}{0.0821\frac{L\cdot atm}{mol\cdot K}\cdot (25+273)K}=0.013 mol[/itex]

Grams of Zn:
[itex]m=M\cdot n=65.39g/mol\cdot 0.013 mol=0.85 g[/itex]

I'm supposed to get 0.828 grams so I don't know what it is that I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
0.855 g (0.131 mol) is a correct answer.

Borek said:
0.855 g (0.131 mol) is a correct answer.

But my book's facit says 0.828 so I was worried maybe I had missed something.

PhyIsOhSoHard said:
I was worried maybe I had missed something.

Erratum :-p

Correct for vapor pressure of water

The problem mentions 'total pressure', so you have to take into account the vapor pressure of water. The vapor pressure of water depends on the temperature, and you can find that on a table.

Subtract it from the total pressure, to find the partial pressure of hydrogen. With this correction, your answer will match the textbook answer.

Good point, thank you.

Problem is, we never know at what level is the question asked, so it is rarely clear whether collected gas is to be treated as dry, or not (HS students know nothing about partial pressures). Apparently in this case 24.2 mmHg of water vapor does the trick.

Related to How many grams of Zn reacted in this reaction (very easy chemistry question)

1. How do you calculate the number of grams of Zn that reacted in a chemical reaction?

The number of grams of Zn that reacted can be calculated using the following formula: grams of Zn = moles of Zn x molar mass of Zn. First, you need to determine the number of moles of Zn by dividing the given mass of Zn by its molar mass. Then, multiply the number of moles by the molar mass of Zn to get the mass in grams.

2. Is the amount of Zn that reacted different from the amount of Zn present in the reaction?

Yes, the amount of Zn that reacted is different from the amount of Zn present in the reaction. This is because during a chemical reaction, some of the reactants are used up to form products. The amount of Zn present in the reaction is the initial amount before any reaction takes place, while the amount that reacted is the amount that actually participated in the reaction.

3. Can you calculate the number of grams of Zn reacted if the number of moles of Zn is not given?

No, you cannot calculate the number of grams of Zn that reacted if the number of moles of Zn is not given. You need to know the number of moles of Zn in order to use the formula mentioned in the first question. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately determine the mass of Zn that reacted.

4. What is the molar mass of Zn?

The molar mass of Zn is 65.38 g/mol. This can be found on the periodic table, where the molar mass of each element is listed below its symbol. It is important to use the correct molar mass when calculating the number of grams of Zn reacted in a chemical reaction.

5. Can the number of grams of Zn reacted be negative?

No, the number of grams of Zn reacted cannot be negative. This is because mass is a physical quantity that cannot have a negative value. If the calculated value for the number of grams of Zn reacted is negative, it is likely that an error was made in the calculation or in the given information.