How many edges does the graph have?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the number of edges in a graph $G$ with vertices representing permutations of a set of integers. The number of edges can be found by counting the number of transpositions between vertices and multiplying it by the total number of vertices divided by 2 times 3!. The number of transpositions can be obtained by subtracting the number of ways to choose two numbers from the total number of coordinates, minus the number of ways to choose two 9s.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $G$ be a graph of which the vertices are the permutations of $\{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,9,9\}$ with the property that two vertices $(\epsilon_1, \epsilon_2, \ldots, \epsilon_{11})$, $(\epsilon_1', \epsilon_2', \ldots, \epsilon_{11}')$ are connected with an edge if and only if the one is resulted from the other by exchanging the positions of two different integers.

How can we calculate the number of edges of the graph $G$ ? We have $\frac{11!}{3!}$ (because we have 11 numbers but the number 9 is appeared three times) permutations, and so we have $\frac{11!}{3!}$ vertices, right? I haven't really understood how we can get the number of edges knowing that. Could you give me a hint? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

Let $G$ be a graph of which the vertices are the permutations of $\{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,9,9\}$ with the property that two vertices $(\epsilon_1, \epsilon_2, \ldots, \epsilon_{11})$, $(\epsilon_1', \epsilon_2', \ldots, \epsilon_{11}')$ are connected with an edge if and only if the one is resulted from the other by exchanging the positions of two different integers.

How can we calculate the number of edges of the graph $G$ ? We have $\frac{11!}{3!}$ (because we have 11 numbers but the number 9 is appeared three times) permutations, and so we have $\frac{11!}{3!}$ vertices, right? I haven't really understood how we can get the number of edges knowing that. Could you give me a hint? (Wondering)
I would start by fixing a vertex $(\epsilon_1, \epsilon_2, \ldots, \epsilon_{11})$ and counting the number of edges connected to that vertex. There will be one such edge for each transposition of the form $(\epsilon_i, \epsilon_j)$, where $i\ne j$ and $\epsilon_i$, $\epsilon_j$ are not both equal to $9$.

If there are $N$ such transpositions then $N$ will be the same for each vertex, so the total number of endpoints of edges will be $\dfrac{11!N}{3!}$. Since each edge has two endpoints, the total number of edges is then $\dfrac{11!N}{2\cdot3!}$.

Opalg said:
I would start by fixing a vertex $(\epsilon_1, \epsilon_2, \ldots, \epsilon_{11})$ and counting the number of edges connected to that vertex. There will be one such edge for each transposition of the form $(\epsilon_i, \epsilon_j)$, where $i\ne j$ and $\epsilon_i$, $\epsilon_j$ are not both equal to $9$.

If there are $N$ such transpositions then $N$ will be the same for each vertex, so the total number of endpoints of edges will be $\dfrac{11!N}{3!}$. Since each edge has two endpoints, the total number of edges is then $\dfrac{11!N}{2\cdot3!}$.

Ah ok! And is N the number of transpositions of 9 numbers, i.e $\binom{9}{2}$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Ah ok! And is N the number of transpositions of 9 numbers, i.e $\binom{9}{2}$ ? (Wondering)
There are $11$ coordinates, and you can transpose any two of them provided that they are not both $9$s. So that gives you ${11\choose2} - {3\choose2}$ possibilities.

Opalg said:
There are $11$ coordinates, and you can transpose any two of them provided that they are not both $9$s. So that gives you ${11\choose2} - {3\choose2}$ possibilities.

I understand! Thank you! (Smile)

Related to How many edges does the graph have?

1. How do you calculate the number of edges in a graph?

To calculate the number of edges in a graph, you simply count the number of lines that connect the vertices in the graph. Each line represents an edge, so the total number of edges in the graph is the number of lines you count.

2. Can the number of edges in a graph be negative?

No, the number of edges in a graph cannot be negative. Edges represent connections between vertices, and a negative number of edges would not make sense in this context.

3. What does the number of edges in a graph tell us?

The number of edges in a graph tells us the total number of connections between the vertices in the graph. This can give us information about the complexity and connectivity of the graph.

4. Is it possible for a graph to have an odd number of edges?

Yes, it is possible for a graph to have an odd number of edges. The number of edges in a graph is dependent on the number of vertices and the connections between them, so it is not limited to only even numbers.

5. Can the number of edges in a graph change?

Yes, the number of edges in a graph can change. If vertices are added or removed, or if connections between vertices are added or removed, the number of edges in the graph will change accordingly.