How many different Lunches from the Lunch Menu

• Thread starter zak100
  • Start date
In summary, you can choose from 56 different lunches if the menu lists 3 soups, 2 salads, 7 sandwiches and 8 desserts.
zak100

Homework Statement

A diner serves a lunch special, consisting of soup or salad, a sandwich, coffee or tea and a dessert. If the menu lists 3 soups , 2 salads, 7 sandwiches and 8 desserts, how many different lunches can you choose?

Homework Equations

Counting Principle

The Attempt at a Solution

Sandwiches = 7
Deserts = 8
The above two are without 'or' so their combinations = 56.
Combining 2 Salads = 56 * 2 = 112
or Combining 3 soups = 56 * 3 = 168
Total = 112 + 168 = 280

but answer is wrong. Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I know about 7, 2 & 8 but i don't know what's 5?

Zulfi.

zak100 said:

Homework Statement

A diner serves a lunch special, consisting of soup or salad, a sandwich, coffee or tea and a dessert. If the menu lists 3 soups , 2 salads, 7 sandwiches and 8 desserts, how many different lunches can you choose?

Homework Equations

Counting Principle

The Attempt at a Solution

Sandwiches = 7
Deserts = 8
The above two are without 'or' so their combinations = 56.
Combining 2 Salads = 56 * 2 = 112
or Combining 3 soups = 56 * 3 = 168
Total = 112 + 168 = 280

Zulfi.
You are missing one choice.

Hi,
Are you talking about tea and coffee? No quantity mentioned about them so i have not included them.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
Are you talking about tea and coffee? No quantity mentioned about them so i have not included them.

Zulfi.
Yes. That's what I'm referring to.

zak100 said:
Hi,

Zulfi.

It said that each meal includes either tea or coffee, so you cannot neglect them.

zak100 said:
In case it is not clear from the previous replies, you have two errors. Ray and Sammy are pointing out that you have omitted the tea/coffee choice, while phinds is drawing attention to the fact that soup and salad are mutually exclusive.

Hi,
Thanks all for your help. Tea/Coffee: what is their quantity? If i say that each is one, then there is no effect. I don't know what you mean by mutual Exclusive. In computer this is used for shareable device used one at a time.
Please guide me.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
dont know what you mean by mutual Exclusive
It means you cannot have both. It says "soup or salad". If there are 3 soups and two salads, how many different things can you choose?
zak100 said:
Tea/Coffee: what is their quantity?
You can have tea or coffee. How many different things can you choose?

Hi,
<It means you cannot have both. It says "soup or salad". If there are 3 soups and two salads, how many different things can you choose?>
If there are 3 soups S1, S2 & S3 & 2 Salads C1, C2 then it means i can't have:
S1C1, S1C2, S2C1, S2C2, S3C1, S3C2
So i have to take each of them alone so there are 5 five choices now:
S1, S2, S3, C1, C2 and tea or coffee, i have 2 choices:
Tea1, Coffee1
7 * 8 * 5 * 2 = 560
Thanks.
Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
<It means you cannot have both. It says "soup or salad". If there are 3 soups and two salads, how many different things can you choose?>
If there are 3 soups S1, S2 & S3 & 2 Salads C1, C2 then it means i can't have:
S1C1, S1C2, S2C1, S2C2, S3C1, S3C2
So i have to take each of them alone so there are 5 five choices now:
S1, S2, S3, C1, C2 and tea or coffee, i have 2 choices:
Tea1, Coffee1
7 * 8 * 5 * 2 = 560
Thanks.
Zulfi.
Good.

zak100 said:
7 * 8 * 5 * 2.
Exactly. See post #2 in which my point was that you were making this problem harder than it is.

Yes my friend, thanks for your response. Actually i already have the solution, but i can't understand it so i was looking for more details.

Zulfi.

Related to How many different Lunches from the Lunch Menu

1. How many different lunches are on the lunch menu?

The number of different lunches on the menu depends on the specific restaurant or cafeteria. Some may have a small selection of 5-10 options while others may have a larger variety of 20 or more.

2. Can I customize my lunch from the menu?

This also depends on the restaurant or cafeteria. Some may have options for customization such as choosing different sides or toppings, while others may have set meals that cannot be altered.

3. Are there vegetarian or vegan options on the lunch menu?

Most restaurants and cafeterias now offer vegetarian and/or vegan options on their menus. It is best to check with the specific location to see what options are available.

4. How often does the lunch menu change?

This is typically up to the restaurant or cafeteria. Some may have a set menu that rarely changes, while others may have seasonal or weekly specials that rotate. It is best to check with the specific location to see how often their menu changes.

5. How do I know what is in each lunch option on the menu?

Most menus will list the ingredients or a brief description of each lunch option. If it is not listed, you can always ask the staff for more information about a specific dish.