How many days will it take B to finish the remaining work?

In summary: Good...and so if 19/30 of the job remains and it takes B 30 days to complete the entire task, how long will it take for B to complete the 19/30 of the task that remains?(19/30)(30) = 19 days(19/30)(30) = 19 days
mathdad
A can do a piece of work in 25 days and B can do the same work in 30 days. They work together for 5 days and then A leaves. B will finish the remaining work in...

a) 21 days
b) 11 days
c) 20 days
d) 19 days

Is the following equation correct?

1/25 + 1/B = 1/5

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
A can do a piece of work in 25 days and B can do the same work in 30 days. They work together for 5 days and then A leaves. B will finish the remaining work in...

a) 21 days
b) 11 days
c) 20 days
d) 19 days

Is the following equation correct?

1/25 + 1/B = 1/5

I would first look at:

\(\displaystyle \text{lcm}\,(25,30)=150\)

We observe that in 150 days, A can complete 6 tasks and B can complete 5 tasks, and so working together they can complete 11 tasks in 150 days. The means that working together they can complete one task in 150/11 days. So, if they work together for 5 days, what portion of the task remains to be done?

I don't follow the logic.

RTCNTC said:
I don't follow the logic.

In order to answer this question, we need to know how long it takes A and B working together to complete one task, because we need to know how much of the task will be remaining after 5 days. We'll call this length of time T. Instead of the method I presented, we could also write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{25}+\frac{1}{30}=\frac{1}{T}\)

This equation arises from looking at what gets done in 1 unit of time (days in this problem). In 1 day, A can complete 1/25 of a task and B can complete 1/30 of a task, and so the LHS of the equation represents their combined effort in 1 day. Since we've defined T to be the amount of time it takes A and B to complete a task working together, their combined efforts for 1 day, must equal 1/T.

What do you get when you solve for T?

MarkFL said:
In order to answer this question, we need to know how long it takes A and B working together to complete one task, because we need to know how much of the task will be remaining after 5 days. We'll call this length of time T. Instead of the method I presented, we could also write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{25}+\frac{1}{30}=\frac{1}{T}\)

This equation arises from looking at what gets done in 1 unit of time (days in this problem). In 1 day, A can complete 1/25 of a task and B can complete 1/30 of a task, and so the LHS of the equation represents their combined effort in 1 day. Since we've defined T to be the amount of time it takes A and B to complete a task working together, their combined efforts for 1 day, must equal 1/T.

What do you get when you solve for T?

I got T = 150/11.

RTCNTC said:
I got T = 150/11.

Yes, and so if A and B have worked together for 5 days, the portion of the job remaining would be:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\dfrac{150}{11}-5}{\dfrac{150}{11}}=?\)

I got 19/30.

RTCNTC said:
I got 19/30.

Good...and so if 19/30 of the job remains and it takes B 30 days to complete the entire task, how long will it take for B to complete the 19/30 of the task that remains?

(19/30)(30) = 19 days

RTCNTC said:
(19/30)(30) = 19 days

Yes...I concur. :D

Related to How many days will it take B to finish the remaining work?

What is a work application?

A work application is a document that you fill out when applying for a job. It typically includes your personal information, education history, work experience, and any other relevant information that the employer may require.

What should I include in my work application?

In your work application, you should include your full name, contact information, education history, work experience, skills, and any other relevant information that the employer may require. It is important to make sure all the information is accurate and up-to-date.

How do I submit a work application?

You can submit a work application in a few different ways, depending on the employer's preference. Some companies may require you to fill out an online application form, while others may ask you to email or mail in a physical copy. Make sure to follow the instructions provided by the employer.

What should I do if I have no work experience?

If you have no work experience, you can still include any relevant volunteer work, internships, or extracurricular activities on your application. You can also highlight any transferable skills or qualities that make you a strong candidate for the job.

When should I follow up on my work application?

It is generally recommended to follow up on your work application after 1-2 weeks. You can either call or email the employer to inquire about the status of your application. However, make sure to not follow up too frequently, as this may come across as pushy or impatient.