How Many Cookies Did Tim Eat on the First Day?

In summary, Tim ate 100 cookies in 5 days with each day he ate 6 more than the previous day. To find out how many cookies he ate on the first day, we can set up an equation and solve it. Your son should be able to solve the equation 5x + 60 = 100 to find the answer.
medeco
Hello,
I would love to get help or a formula to help figure out my son's word problem he arrived with this afternoon for Homework on his first day back to school here in Georgia.

The problems is:

Tim ate 100 cookies in 5 days. Each day he ate 6 more than he did the day before.
How many cookies did he eat on the 1st day?

Please help me help my son solve this problem.
Thanks,
Pat
E-mail: dcvgnola@yahoo.com:confused: :confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

Each day Tim eats six more cookies than the previous one.

Let x = the number of cookies Tim ate on the first day
x+6 = 2nd day
x+12 = 3rd day
x+18= 4th day
x+24 = 5th day

x + (x+6) + (x+12) + (x+18) + (x+24) = 100
5x + 60 = 100

Your son should be able to figure it out from there. Solve that equation and that's your answer. Make sense?

Hi Pat,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your son's math problem. I would be happy to assist you and your son in solving this word problem.

To solve this problem, we can use a formula called the arithmetic sequence formula. This formula helps us find the value of each term in a sequence when we know the first term and the common difference between each term.

In this problem, the first term is the number of cookies Tim ate on the first day, and the common difference is the number of cookies he ate more each day. So, the formula we will use is: a_n = a_1 + (n-1)d, where a_n is the nth term, a_1 is the first term, n is the number of the term we want to find, and d is the common difference.

In this case, we know that a_1 = the number of cookies Tim ate on the first day, n = 5 (since there are 5 days in total), and d = 6 (since he ate 6 more cookies each day). So, we can plug in these values into the formula and solve for a_1.

a_5 = a_1 + (5-1)*6
100 = a_1 + 4*6
100 = a_1 + 24
a_1 = 76

Therefore, Tim ate 76 cookies on the first day.

I hope this explanation helps you and your son understand how to solve this problem. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need more clarification. Best of luck to your son on his first day back to school!

Best regards,

Related to How Many Cookies Did Tim Eat on the First Day?

1. What are the steps to solving a basic math word problem?

The steps to solving a basic math word problem are as follows:1. Read the problem carefully and identify the known and unknown quantities.2. Decide on the operation (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division) needed to solve the problem.3. Write an equation or expression to represent the problem.4. Solve the equation or expression.5. Check your answer to make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

2. How do I know which operation to use in a math word problem?

To determine which operation to use in a math word problem, you need to pay attention to the keywords or phrases in the problem. For example, "sum" or "total" usually indicates addition, "difference" or "less than" indicates subtraction, "product" or "times" indicates multiplication, and "quotient" or "divide" indicates division.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a math word problem?

If you get stuck on a math word problem, try reading the problem again and breaking it down into smaller parts. You can also try drawing a diagram or using manipulatives to help visualize the problem. If you are still stuck, ask a friend or teacher for help or consult a math textbook or online resource for similar examples and solutions.

4. How can I check if my answer to a math word problem is correct?

You can check if your answer to a math word problem is correct by plugging it back into the original equation or using estimation to see if your answer makes sense. You can also ask a friend or teacher to check your work or compare your answer to a similar example with a known solution.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve a basic math word problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a basic math word problem. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts behind the problem rather than relying solely on a calculator. Additionally, some word problems may require mental math or estimation, so it is important to practice these skills as well.