How many constants-of-motion for a given Hamiltonian?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of functionally independent constants of motion in the context of a contrived Hamiltonian introduced in "Classical Dynamics" by Jose & Saletan. The Hamiltonian has several constants-of-motion, including f = q1q2, and the question is raised about the minimum number of constants-of-motion needed to form a basis. The conversation concludes with a useful fact about Hamiltonian systems and a definition of independent functions in a domain. It is stated that there are at most 2n functionally independent constants-of-motion for a Hamiltonian of 2n freedoms.
Undoubtedly0
I am using Jose & Saletan's "Classical Dynamics", where they introduce a rather contrived Hamiltonian in the problem set: [tex] H(q_1,p_1,q_2,p_2) = q_1p_1-q_2p_2 - aq_1^2 + bq_2^2 [/tex] where a and b are constants. This Hamiltonian has several constants-of-motion, including f = q1q2, as can be easily checked. In fact, at this point I am aware of four "functionally independent" constants of motion.

Since this Hamiltonian is a function of four variables, is there some theorem that says there are at most four functionally independent constants of motion? If not, then how would I know when I have found enough to form a basis?

----

Note: The authors define functions f and g to be functionally independent if both functions can be written as functions of a third function. It would seem that this is a relatively obscure topic.

Physics news on Phys.org
That definition of functionally independent isn't clear enough.
If ##E## and ##L## are constants of motion, then ##E^L## and ##2E-L## and any other combinations are also constants of motion.
If ##K## is a constant of motion, then so is ##E+K##. But is ##E+K## functionally independent with ##E^L##?

Khashishi said:
That definition of functionally independent isn't clear enough.
If ##E## and ##L## are constants of motion, then ##E^L## and ##2E-L## and any other combinations are also constants of motion.
If ##K## is a constant of motion, then so is ##E+K##. But is ##E+K## functionally independent with ##E^L##?
Thanks Khashishi. I have assumed that functional independence extends to more than two functions in the analogous way that linear independence does. That is, if ##E## and ##L## are constants of the motion, ##\{E,L,E^L\}## is not a functionally independent set.

Said differently, what is the least number of constants-of-motion that can be combined to form all other constants of motion? In my case, is this four? Is there a general theorem?

Generally to integrate a system ##\dot x=v(x),\quad x\in\mathbb{R}^m## you need m-1 independent first integrals ##f_k(x),\quad k=1,\ldots,m-1##. And this is the maximal system: any other first integral depends on ##f_k(x),\quad k=1,\ldots,m-1##.
There is a useful fact about the Hamiltonian systems. If the Hamiltonian has the form ##H=H(f(p_1,\ldots,p_s,q_1,\ldots,q_s),p_{s+1},\ldots,p_m,q_{s+1},\ldots,q_m)## then ##f## is a first integral. So in your case the functions ##q_1p_1-aq_1^2,\quad -q_2p_2+bq_2^2## are the first integrals and the Hamiltonian depends on these functions. Due to the specific of Hamiltonian systems, It is sufficient to integrate this system explicitly. For details see https://loshijosdelagrange.files.wo...tical-methods-of-classical-mechanics-1989.pdf

The set of functions ##f_j(x)## is called independent in a domain ##D## if the vectors ##\nabla f_j## are linearly independent at each point ##x\in D##

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and Undoubtedly0
Thank you, wrobel. This was exactly what I was looking for. I have found it simple to show that there are at most ##2n## functionally independent constants-of-motion for a Hamiltonian of ##2n## freedoms.

Related to How many constants-of-motion for a given Hamiltonian?

1. What are constants of motion for a given Hamiltonian?

Constants of motion are physical quantities that remain constant over time in a given system, regardless of any changes in the system's state or conditions. In the context of Hamiltonian mechanics, constants of motion are quantities that remain unchanged as a system evolves over time according to the Hamiltonian equations of motion.

2. How many constants of motion are there for a given Hamiltonian?

The number of constants of motion for a given Hamiltonian is determined by the number of independent coordinates and momenta in the system. According to Noether's theorem, there is one constant of motion for each independent symmetry of the system.

3. What is the importance of constants of motion in Hamiltonian mechanics?

Constants of motion play a crucial role in Hamiltonian mechanics as they provide a way to simplify the equations of motion and solve for the system's behavior. They also provide insight into the symmetries and conservation laws of the system.

4. How can constants of motion be calculated for a given Hamiltonian?

Constants of motion can be calculated using the Hamiltonian equations of motion and by identifying any symmetries in the system. They can also be derived using Noether's theorem, which relates symmetries of a system to its conserved quantities.

5. Can a Hamiltonian have an infinite number of constants of motion?

In some cases, a Hamiltonian may have an infinite number of constants of motion. This is often seen in systems with continuous symmetries, such as in classical mechanics and quantum mechanics. However, in most practical applications, there are a finite number of constants of motion for a given Hamiltonian.