How many combinations of r natural numbers add up to n?

In summary, the problem of Partitions of an Integer is to find the number of different combinations of r natural.numbers that add upto n. There is a page on StackExchange that provides a recursive definition of p_k(n).
mathworker
Find the number of different combinations of \(\displaystyle r\) natural.numbers that add upto \(\displaystyle n\)

I tried this for quite a fair amount.of.time but.couldn't figure it out.(Punch)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: a tough combonotrics problem

mathworker said:
Find the number of different combinations of \(\displaystyle r\) natural.numbers that add upto \(\displaystyle n\)

I tried this for quite a fair amount.of.time but.couldn't figure it out.

This is known as the problem of Partitions of an Integer.
Here is a fair webpage on the topic.

If you want print material see Ivan Niven's Mathematics of Choice, chapter six.

Thanks for the link,I have gone through it.
But as far as I understood partition function doesn't give the number of partitions of specific cardinality.I mean if we want only the partitions that contains \(\displaystyle r\) terms for example or can we define a restricted partition function that can do the job?If we can define how can we approximate such restricted \(\displaystyle p(x)\)

mathworker said:
Thanks for the link,I have gone through it.
But as far as I understood partition function doesn't give the number of partitions of specific cardinality.I mean if we want only the partitions that contains \(\displaystyle r\) terms for example or can we define a restricted partition function that can do the job?If we can define how can we approximate such restricted \(\displaystyle p(x)\)

Well I did say that the webpage is only fair. I dislike its notation.
I suggest that you try to find Niven's book.

Example: The number of partitions of 6 into 3 summands is three:
[TEX] \begin{align*} 6 &= 1+1+4\\ &=1+2+3\\ &=2+2+2\end{align*}[/TEX]

That is [TEX]p_3(6)-p_2(6).[/TEX]

There is a clear recursive definition of [TEX]p_k(n). [/TEX]

mathworker said:
There is a page in StackExchange about this. Of course, the problem is tricky if "combination" is used in its technical sense to mean a set. In contrast, permutations (i.e., ordered sequences) of summands are called compositions (rather than partitions). Their number is simple to figure out.

Related to How many combinations of r natural numbers add up to n?

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects or events in a systematic way.

2. What makes a combinatorics problem tough?

A combinatorics problem can be considered tough if it involves a large number of objects, complex constraints, or requires advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

3. How can I improve my skills in solving tough combinatorics problems?

Improving your skills in combinatorics involves practicing regularly, studying different problem-solving strategies, and building a strong foundation in basic combinatorics concepts.

4. Are there real-world applications of combinatorics?

Yes, combinatorics has numerous real-world applications in fields such as computer science, engineering, genetics, and economics. It is used to solve problems related to scheduling, network optimization, data compression, and more.

5. Can combinatorics be applied to other areas of mathematics?

Combinatorics has connections to other areas of mathematics such as algebra, geometry, and probability. It is also used in cryptography and game theory, showing its versatility and wide range of applications.