How many boundary conditions should I have for a 2-D transient pde?

In summary, the speaker is a coding novice seeking advice on solving a 2D advection-diffusion problem. They are unsure of how many boundary conditions are needed for the transported property, which is a chemical element being transported from left to right with only advection. The speaker has specified the initial mass and left boundary, but is unsure if a second boundary condition is needed at the right. They are seeking advice on this matter.
bzz77
Hello all:

I'm a newbie, trying to write/use code for solving a 2D advection-diffusion problem. I'm not sure how many boundary conditions I should have for the property that is being transported.

In my problem, I have diffusion switched off (advection only). The property being transported (from left to right) is a chemical element. I have its initial mass as an initial condition. I have specified its mass at the left boundary. Do I need a second boundary condition at the right?

Thanks for any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
bzz77 said:
Hello all:

I'm a newbie, trying to write/use code for solving a 2D advection-diffusion problem. I'm not sure how many boundary conditions I should have for the property that is being transported.

In my problem, I have diffusion switched off (advection only). The property being transported (from left to right) is a chemical element. I have its initial mass as an initial condition. I have specified its mass at the left boundary. Do I need a second boundary condition at the right?

Thanks for any advice.

You should. If it is the iterative, then you will need to account for front and end conditions.

Related to How many boundary conditions should I have for a 2-D transient pde?

1. What are boundary conditions for a 2-D transient PDE?

Boundary conditions for a 2-D transient PDE specify the values or equations that must be satisfied at the edges of the 2-D domain, in order to solve the PDE. These conditions are essential for obtaining a unique solution.

2. How many boundary conditions are required for a 2-D transient PDE?

The number of boundary conditions required for a 2-D transient PDE depends on the type of PDE being solved. In general, the number of boundary conditions should be equal to the order of the PDE. For example, a second-order PDE would require two boundary conditions.

3. Can I have more or less than the required number of boundary conditions for a 2-D transient PDE?

It is not recommended to have more or less than the required number of boundary conditions for a 2-D transient PDE. Having too few boundary conditions can result in a non-unique solution, while having too many can lead to an overdetermined system of equations.

4. What happens if I do not specify enough boundary conditions for a 2-D transient PDE?

If you do not specify enough boundary conditions for a 2-D transient PDE, the solution may not be unique, and the PDE may not be solvable. In some cases, the solution may still be obtained by using additional information, such as initial conditions, but this is not always possible.

5. Can I have different types of boundary conditions for a 2-D transient PDE?

Yes, it is possible to have different types of boundary conditions for a 2-D transient PDE. For example, you may have a combination of Dirichlet, Neumann, and Robin boundary conditions. However, it is important to ensure that the total number of boundary conditions is equal to the order of the PDE.