How many batteries can run in series

In summary: If you add batteries in series there is not a practical limit. Your output voltage just continues to rise. I have used 450 large glass 1.2 volt lead-acid battery cells connected in series in an Uninterruptable Power System. When you begin to put batteries in parallel you encounter the problem of differences in the batteries causing unwanted current/power flows between the cells themselves. This can become catastrophic and dangerous with possible fire, explosions, and injuries. Be sure to consult with qualified and certified engineers if you are doing home-made projects.
Jlwaterman
I live off the grid and am looking to upgrade my battery bank. I now have 12 6v batteries. 4 are ran in parallel to make a 24v system. The rest are run in series to increase watt hours. is there a maximum amount of batteries I can run in a series?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jlwaterman said:
I live off the grid and am looking to upgrade my battery bank. I now have 12 6v batteries. 4 are ran in parallel to make a 24v system. The rest are run in series to increase watt hours. is there a maximum amount of batteries I can run in a series?

You got it mixed, you must be running 4 in series to get 24V, not in parallel.

Forgive me for the mix up. I am still trying figure out how many batteries I can hook up

If you add batteries in series there is not a practical limit. Your output voltage just continues to rise. I have used 450 large glass 1.2 volt lead-acid battery cells connected in series in an Uninterruptable Power System.

When you begin to put batteries in parallel you encounter the problem of differences in the batteries causing unwanted current/power flows between the cells themselves. This can become catastrophic and dangerous with possible fire, explosions, and injuries. Be sure to consult with qualified and certified engineers if you are doing home-made projects.

Jlwaterman said:
Forgive me for the mix up. I am still trying figure out how many batteries I can hook up
Without special monitoring, no more than 2 in parallel (i.e., side by side), and then only if they are both new and of identical manufacture and part number, and in similar state of charge. When you discharge them, only partially discharge, don't discharge until the lights go dim!

For cells in series, no more than 3 or 4, and then only if they are of identical manufacture and part number, and in similar state of charge. When you discharge a series connection of non-identical cells, the weakest cell is placed in mortal danger of having its polarity reversed. To minimize this risk, take care not to discharge anywhere near the rated AHr capacity of a series string. It would be safest to electronically monitor the terminal voltage of each 6V battery and trip the load relay if any battery voltage falls below that safe level. (I would expect some chemistrys to be more tolerant of polarity reversal than others, but I wouldn't rely on this.)

Bobbywhy said:
If you add batteries in series there is not a practical limit. Your output voltage just continues to rise. I have used 450 large glass 1.2 volt lead-acid battery cells connected in series in an Uninterruptable Power System.

When you begin to put batteries in parallel you encounter the problem of differences in the batteries causing unwanted current/power flows between the cells themselves. This can become catastrophic and dangerous with possible fire, explosions, and injuries. Be sure to consult with qualified and certified engineers if you are doing home-made projects.

This may be informative. Don't do this at home...

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How many batteries can run in series

What is the definition of running batteries in series?

Running batteries in series means connecting multiple batteries together in a single circuit, where the positive terminal of one battery is connected to the negative terminal of the next battery, and so on. This creates a longer overall battery with a higher voltage output.

What is the maximum number of batteries that can be run in series?

The maximum number of batteries that can be run in series depends on the type of battery and its voltage. In general, most batteries can be safely connected in series up to 4-6 batteries. However, it is always best to consult the manufacturer's guidelines for specific battery models.

What happens if I run too many batteries in series?

If you run too many batteries in series, it can result in an overload on the circuit, which can cause damage to the batteries and other components. It is important to always follow the recommended guidelines for the maximum number of batteries that can be safely connected in series.

Can different types of batteries be run in series?

It is not recommended to run different types of batteries in series, as it can result in an imbalance of charge and potentially cause damage to the batteries. It is best to use batteries of the same type, brand, and age when connecting them in series.

What are the benefits of running batteries in series?

Running batteries in series can increase the total voltage output, which can be useful for powering devices or equipment that require a higher voltage. It can also extend the overall battery life by distributing the workload among multiple batteries.