How Many Air Molecules Were Released from the Compressed Tank?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations PV = NkT and PV = nRT to calculate the number of air molecules released when a tank of compressed air is pressurized to 50 atm at T = 273 K and then released until the pressure reaches 17 atm. However, the incorrect use of units may have led to an incorrect answer.
underoathP
A tank of compressed air of volume 1.0 m^3 is pressurized to 50 atm at T = 273 K. A valve is opened and air is released until the pressure in the tank is 17 atm. How many air molecules were released?

I tried this problem using PV = NkT and PV = nRT. I realize the difference in these equations and I was wondering if this in fact the right equations to use? I ran 50 atm through and then 17 atm through. I then subtracted the initial N minus the final N. This didn't work.

This is what I did:

(50 atm)(1.0 m^3) = N(1.38e-23)(273)
N = 1.327e22

(17)(1.0 m^3) = N(1.38e-23)(273)
N = 4.512e21

Nfinal = (1.327e22) - (4.512e21)
Nfinal = 8.758e21

This is the wrong answer. What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your units, can you really use atmospheres with that equation?

I would approach this problem by first verifying the units and constants being used in the equations. In this case, the units for pressure should be in Pascals (Pa), not atmospheres (atm). Additionally, the value for the Boltzmann constant (k) should be 1.38e-23 J/K, not 1.38e-23 m^3 atm/K.

Once the correct units and constants are used, the equations PV = NkT and PV = nRT can both be used to solve for the number of molecules released. However, it is important to note that these equations assume an ideal gas behavior, which may not be accurate for all situations.

To use PV = NkT, the temperature must be converted to Kelvin (K = 273 + T). Then, the number of molecules released can be calculated by taking the difference between the initial and final number of molecules, as you did.

To use PV = nRT, the number of moles (n) must be calculated first by dividing the initial pressure (50 atm) by the gas constant (R = 8.314 J/mol K) and the converted temperature (273 K). This will give the initial number of moles in the tank. Then, the final number of moles can be calculated using the final pressure (17 atm) and the same temperature. The difference between these two values will give the number of moles released, which can then be converted to number of molecules by multiplying by Avogadro's constant (6.022e23 molecules/mol).

It is also important to consider other factors that may affect the number of molecules released, such as changes in temperature or the presence of impurities in the compressed air. These can impact the accuracy of the calculations and should be taken into account in any scientific analysis.

In summary, the correct approach to solving this problem would involve using the correct units and constants in the equations and considering any potential factors that may affect the results. It is also helpful to double check the calculations and use multiple methods to verify the answer. If you are still unsure, consulting with a colleague or mentor can also be beneficial in finding the correct solution.

Related to How Many Air Molecules Were Released from the Compressed Tank?

1. What is a tank of compressed air?

A tank of compressed air is a container filled with air that has been pressurized to a level higher than atmospheric pressure. This increases the density of the air and allows it to be stored in a smaller space.

2. How is a tank of compressed air used?

A tank of compressed air is commonly used in industrial, commercial, and recreational settings. It can power tools, inflate tires, and provide energy for various processes. It is also used in scuba diving and firefighting equipment.

3. How is a tank of compressed air filled?

A tank of compressed air can be filled using a compressor, which draws in air and pressurizes it before transferring it into the tank. The air can also be filled from a larger storage tank or through a specialized filling station.

4. What are the benefits of using compressed air?

Compressed air is a versatile and efficient form of energy. It is non-toxic, non-polluting, and readily available. It can power a wide range of tools and equipment, and can be easily stored and transported.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a tank of compressed air?

Yes, there are some important safety precautions to keep in mind when using a tank of compressed air. Always wear protective gear, such as goggles and earplugs, when working with compressed air. It is also important to properly handle and store the tank, and to regularly check for any leaks or damage.