How Many Air Molecules are Contained in a Smooth Cylinder at Equilibrium?

In summary, the problem involves an insulated cylindrical container with a light, airtight piston and a mass of 73 kg on top. The piston has a circular cross-section and is in equilibrium at a height of 4.7 cm above the base of the container. The room is at atmospheric pressure and a temperature of 22 °C. To calculate the number of air molecules beneath the piston, the ideal gas law was used, taking into account the pressure of the entire system. The resulting calculation was 4.6*10^22 molecules.
pfunk22

Homework Statement

A smooth, well-greased insulated cylindrical container with a metal base has a light (so you can neglect its weight), airtight piston that can frictionlessly move up and down the inside of the container. A mass M = 73 kg sits on top of the piston. The piston has a circular cross-section of area 0.032 m2, and is in equilibrium at a height of 4.7 cm above the base of the cylinder. The cylinder sits in equilibrium in a room that is at atmospheric pressure and a temperature of 22 °C.

How many air molecules are contained inside the cylinder beneath the piston?

Homework Equations

pV=nRT

p= (force)/(area) in N/m^2 Or Pa
Volume of cylinder= pi*r^2*h
A=area
Force = mass*gravity => mg
Avogadro's # = 6.02x10^23
R=8.31 J/(mol K)
T=temp in Kelvin

The Attempt at a Solution

pV=nRT

(m*g)/A)*(pi*r^2*h) = nRT

(mg/A)*(pi*(A/pi)*h) = nRT

(mg/A)*(A*h) = nRT

mgh = nRT

mgh/RT =n

n * avogadro's Number gives molecules.

im not sure what I am doing wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your method is correct. Did you convert all your numbers to the correct units?

rock.freak667 said:
I think your method is correct. Did you convert all your numbers to the correct units?

I think so, i converted height to meters and temp to kelvin.

i think my mistake is in the amount of pressure. i didn't take into account the whole system. how can i calculate the pressure of the entire system? specifically, the pressure of the air inside the cylinder pushing upward on the piston .Edit:
ok i figured it out.

Last edited:
Solution:

pV / RT=n

( ((Atmospheric pressure) + (Pressure of system) ) * (volume at eq) ) / (R*T)

[ (101,325 pa) + ( ((73 kg)*(9.8 m/s^2)) / (.032 m^2) ) * ( ( .032 m^2) * (.047 m) ) ] / ( (8.3 J/mol K)*(295 K) ) = .076 mols

.076 mols * (6.02*10^23 mol^-1) = 4.6*10^22 molecules

Related to How Many Air Molecules are Contained in a Smooth Cylinder at Equilibrium?

What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of a gas.

What are the units of measurement for the Ideal Gas Law?

The units for pressure are typically in atmospheres (atm), volume in liters (L), temperature in Kelvin (K), and amount in moles (mol).

How is the Ideal Gas Law used in scientific research?

The Ideal Gas Law is used to understand and predict the behavior of gases under various conditions. It is often used in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering to study the properties of gases and their reactions.

What are the limitations of the Ideal Gas Law?

While the Ideal Gas Law is a useful and widely applicable equation, it is based on certain assumptions such as negligible molecular volume and no intermolecular forces. As such, it may not accurately predict the behavior of real gases in all situations.

What is the relationship between the Ideal Gas Law and the Combined Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a combination of three individual gas laws: Boyle's Law, Charles's Law, and Gay-Lussac's Law. The Combined Gas Law allows for changes in two or more of the variables (pressure, volume, and temperature) at the same time, while the Ideal Gas Law assumes that only one variable is changing at a time.