How Long Will It Take the Aimless Wanderer to Orbit Planet Mongo?

In summary, the chief scientist-engineer of the starship Aimless Wanderer makes measurements on the planet Mongo, including a stone thrown upward with a mass of 2.50 kg returning in 9.00 seconds and a circumference of 2.00×10^5 at the equator. With no atmosphere, the mass is found to be 3.71*10^25. The problem now asks for the time it takes for the ship to complete one orbit at 3.00×10^4 above the surface. Using the equations F_g = (GM1M2)/R^2 and T^2=R^3, the velocity and period of the planet can be calculated.
anthonym44

Homework Statement

Your starship, the Aimless Wanderer, lands on the mysterious planet Mongo. As chief scientist-engineer, you make the following measurements: a 2.50-kg stone thrown upward from the ground at 11.0 returns to the ground in 9.00 ; the circumference of Mongo at the equator is 2.00×10^5 ; and there is no appreciable atmosphere on Mongo. I found the mass to be 3.71*10^25, now part B asks me for..."If the Aimless Wanderer goes into a circular orbit 3.00×104 above the surface of Mongo, how many hours will it take the ship to complete one orbit?"

Homework Equations

F_g = (GM1M2)/R^2, g= GM/R^2, T^2=R^3, V=(2piR)/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempt to use the propotions rule where (T1^2/R1^3) = (T2^2/R^3) using this i have to calculate the period of the planet some how. I figured in order to do this i must need velocity of the planet. if the mass of the ship was given i would also be able to solve the problem so i attempted to use the equation F_g=(GM1M2)/R^2 but do not know F_g, I thought maybe this was F=ma therefore F=(3.71*10^25)(2.44) (2.44 was solved for a using kinematics.) Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
At the given altitude,

Fc = GMm/(R+h)^2, where Fc = mw^2(R+h). Find w and hence T directly.

As a scientist, it is important to first understand the problem and the given information before attempting to solve it. In this scenario, we are given the mass of the stone (2.50 kg), the time it takes for the stone to return to the ground (9.00 s), the circumference of Mongo at the equator (2.00×10^5 m), and the fact that there is no appreciable atmosphere on Mongo. From this information, we can use the equation for gravitational force to determine the mass of Mongo (3.71*10^25 kg).

In order to solve part B, we need to use the equation for orbital period, T^2 = R^3, where T is the period and R is the distance from the center of the planet. However, in this case, we are given the altitude of the orbit (3.00×10^4 m) instead of the distance from the center of the planet. To solve this, we need to add the radius of the planet (2.00×10^5 m) to the altitude to get the distance from the center of the planet (2.30×10^5 m).

Now, we can use the equation for orbital period to calculate the time it takes for the ship to complete one orbit around Mongo. Since we are given the altitude (3.00×10^4 m) and the radius of Mongo (2.00×10^5 m), we can use the equation V=(2piR)/T to calculate the velocity of the ship in orbit (7.12×10^3 m/s).

Finally, we can use this velocity to calculate the orbital period using the equation T = 2piR/V, which gives us a period of approximately 10.95 hours. Therefore, it would take the Aimless Wanderer approximately 10.95 hours to complete one orbit around Mongo at an altitude of 3.00×10^4 m.

Related to How Long Will It Take the Aimless Wanderer to Orbit Planet Mongo?

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is a natural phenomenon by which objects with mass attract one another. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

2. How is gravitational force calculated?

The strength of gravitational force is determined by the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The formula for calculating gravitational force is F = G * (m1 * m2) / d^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and d is the distance between them.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can change depending on the gravitational pull of the object's surroundings.

4. How does the force of gravity change with distance?

The force of gravity decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This relationship is known as the inverse-square law, which states that the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects.

5. How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity plays a significant role in the motion of objects. It can cause objects to accelerate towards each other, as well as affect the trajectory of moving objects. Gravity is also responsible for the formation of orbits and the tides on Earth.