How long to melt plastic through composite material?

In summary, to calculate the time required to melt a plastic through a composite material, you will need to use the equation dQ/dt = kTA dT/dx, where dQ/dt is the power supplied to the paper side, k is the thermal conductivity, A is the area of the composite, and dT/dx is the temperature gradient. However, to solve for dt, you will need to rearrange the equation using differential calculus. Additionally, you will need to consider the heat capacity of the plastic in your calculations.
David McKnight
How could I calculate how much time would be required to melt a plastic through a composite material?

Composite is .005 inches paper and .0003 inches of Aluminum
Plastic is .001 inches polyethlene with melting point of 325 F

Assume heat source is uniform across area of composite

Physics news on Phys.org
According to the Physics Forums Guidelines (which you agreed to), you have to show how you started this problem.

What I've done so far is research and realized my ability of working with differential calculus is lacking. But I do believe that the equations needed are:

dQ/dt = kTA dT/dx

1/kT=1/kPaper +1/ kAlu (so I can figure this out)

A = 2pi 4 inches (1/8 inches)

dQ/dt = the power supplied to the paper side which 1500 W – but I need to solve for dt (not sure how to re-arrange diff calc formula)

dT/dx = (350-73) F to 25 F (So heat source is set at 350 F and the melt point of plastic is 325 F)

I believe I need to consider the heat capacity of the plastic but I’m not sure where – should it be added to the (kT) formula?

Related to How long to melt plastic through composite material?

1. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or system to another due to a temperature difference. This can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

2. What causes heat transfer?

Heat transfer is caused by the natural tendency of heat to flow from a warmer object to a cooler object until both reach the same temperature. This process is driven by the second law of thermodynamics.

3. How is heat transfer measured?

The rate of heat transfer is measured in units of power, such as watts, and is typically denoted by the symbol Q. The specific heat transfer rate, or heat flux, is measured in units of power per area, such as watts per square meter.

4. What are the three types of heat transfer?

The three types of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through a solid material. Convection is the transfer of heat through a fluid, either through the movement of the fluid itself or through forced convection, such as a fan. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

5. How can heat transfer problems be solved?

Heat transfer problems can be solved using mathematical equations and principles, such as Fourier's law for conduction, Newton's law of cooling for convection, and the Stefan-Boltzmann law for radiation. These equations can be used to calculate the heat transfer rate and temperature distribution within a system.