How long to heat a given volume of air?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the time required for an air heater to heat a volume of air by 25C is determined. The equations and calculations used to find the solution are also mentioned. The final answer is found to be 43 seconds.
evoke1l1

Homework Statement

I am working on a problem where I need to determine the time taken for an air heater with an 8kW output to heat a volume of air of 9m^3 by 25C. I am neglecting all losses at the moment. It almost seems too simple in my mind that I'm concerned I'm overlooking something.

Homework Equations

cp = 1005 J kg-1 K-1
ρ = 1.534 kg m-3
Q = cp * m * dT

The Attempt at a Solution

Q = 1005 * (1.534 * 9) * 25 = 346875.75 J = 0.35MJ

As 1kWh = 3.6MJ:

0.35 / 3.6 = 0.097kWh required for a dT of 25C to heat a 9m^3 volume of air.

The time required would therefore be 0.097 / 8 = 0.012 hours or approximately 43 seconds.

Am I along the right lines here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you got it right. It really is that easy when you understand what you are doing.

Just for grins and giggles, what is the pressure of that air assuming the temperature is 25 deg C?

Likes evoke1l1
Thank you for confirming this.

I’m assuming the change in pressure over the 25C change?

This would be caluculated by p2 = (p1 * T2) / T1 I believe.

Related to How long to heat a given volume of air?

1. How does the volume of air affect the heating time?

The volume of air directly affects the heating time. The larger the volume of air, the longer it will take to heat up. This is because there is more air to heat and it takes longer for the heat to spread evenly throughout the entire volume.

2. What is the relationship between the heating time and the temperature difference?

The heating time is directly proportional to the temperature difference. This means that the larger the temperature difference between the initial and desired temperature, the longer it will take to heat the air to the desired temperature.

3. How does the heating method affect the heating time?

The heating method can greatly affect the heating time. For example, using a convection oven will heat the air faster compared to a traditional oven. This is because convection ovens use a fan to circulate the hot air, resulting in more even and faster heating.

4. What is the specific heat capacity of air and how does it impact heating time?

The specific heat capacity of air is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of air by 1 degree Celsius. The specific heat capacity of air is relatively low compared to other substances, which means it takes less heat to raise the temperature of air. This can result in a shorter heating time.

5. How can I calculate the heating time for a given volume of air?

The heating time for a given volume of air can be calculated using the specific heat capacity of air, the temperature difference, and the heating method. However, it is important to note that there are many variables that can affect the heating time, such as the initial temperature of the air, the air pressure, and the type of container the air is in. It is best to use a heating device with a timer or consult a professional for an accurate estimation of heating time.