How long is a string theory course?

In summary, a typical course on string theory is likely to be a semester-long, and it may include material on subjects which are still unresolved.
boomerang
What is the length of a typical course on string theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing that it'll be a lifetime, since the issue has not come close to resolution.

Yea, I guess it's like asking how long is a piece of string.

boomerang said:

Priceless. :rolleyes:

boomerang said:
What is the length of a typical course on string theory?

If you want a serious answer: string theory courses, like most other courses nowadays, tend to be a semester long.

I didn't know there were courses held for areas of physics which are as yet unresolved.

robertm said:
boomerang said:
Priceless. :rolleyes:

The subject is pointless.:smile:

But seriously...
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-251Spring-2007/CourseHome/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Defennnder said:
I didn't know there were courses held for areas of physics which are as yet unresolved.

Yea at first I thought it was pretty funny. But now that I think of it it's a pretty good idea to give people a grounding in the theory if they're curious even if it isn't done yet. It makes life easier then trying to read all the papers published and having to figure out which are important and then learning all the different prereq math.

But with the structured course you get a taste of what the theory is about and because it's a university course the Professor will know what grounding in math everyone has because of the prereqs assigned to the course.

At the undergrad level a string theory course would be one semester long, and at the grad level it's usually a two semester course.

As for the matter of only offering courses on charted territory-- many advanced grad level courses merge right with current research. And frankly there needs to be more courses like that, so that the transition becomes a little less awkward than jumping from pre-WWII physics with simple toy problems for homework to working on current research for a thesis!

I can't wait to take a string theory course. I might just buy the book though once I know all the required math.

I think it is extremely short once you get into the fifth dimension.

epenguin said:

Short, but probably repetitive. :smile:

epenguin said:

Is this a curled dimension joke? :smile:

how long is a string theory? that reminds me of a question my wife asked in italy once:

"what is spaghetti al ragu?"

and the waiter said; "spaghetti is a long thin pasta".

Related to How long is a string theory course?

1. How long does it typically take to complete a string theory course?

The length of a string theory course can vary depending on the institution and level of the course. Generally, undergraduate courses can range from one semester to a full academic year, while graduate courses can take two to three semesters to complete.

2. What is the recommended background knowledge for taking a string theory course?

String theory is a complex and advanced topic, so it is recommended that students have a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and quantum mechanics before taking a string theory course. This includes knowledge of calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and basic principles of quantum mechanics.

3. Are there any prerequisites for enrolling in a string theory course?

As string theory is a specialized and advanced topic, many institutions require students to have completed certain prerequisites before enrolling in a course. These may include courses in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics, as well as a certain level of proficiency in mathematics.

4. Can a string theory course be taken online?

Yes, there are online string theory courses available, but they may not be as common as traditional in-person courses. It is important to carefully research the institution and course before enrolling in an online string theory course to ensure it meets your needs and requirements.

5. Is there a significant amount of math involved in a string theory course?

Yes, string theory is highly mathematical and involves complex equations and concepts. Students should have a strong background in mathematics and be comfortable with advanced mathematical concepts in order to succeed in a string theory course.