How long does it take to free fall from Mt. Everest?

In summary: Now if you consider air resistance, the problem becomes more complex, and the time of fall increases substantially because terminal velocity will be reached within a few seconds, the value of which depends on whether you fall belly up or head first , amongst other factors. The problem didn't mention air resistance did it, or are you just curious?I'm guessing the problem is not being very realistic, it just wants you to find the time of free fall for 29,000 feet. I mean, Mount Everest might be ~29,000 feet above sea level, but there's no way you will reach the sea from free-falling from the peak of Mount Everest.
HamzaPhysical
1.If i were to jump of of Mt. Everest (29,090 ft), how long will it take me to hit the ground? The initial velocity is 0, the pull of gravity is equal to 9.81m/s^2(acceleration).

I got 42 seconds, but i didnt calculate terminal velocity so I am pretty sure my answer is wrong

to calculate time i used the equation t= the square root of twice the distance divided by the square root of the acceleration.
I converted feet into meters by multiplying it by 30 cm/ft.
from then on i just plugged the info in.

Attachments

• IMAG0448.jpg
    IMAG0448.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 813
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How are we supposed to check your work if you don't SHOW you work?

HamzaPhysical said:
1.If i were to jump of of Mt. Everest (29,090 ft), how long will it take me to hit the ground? The initial velocity is 0, the pull of gravity is equal to 9.81m/s^2.

I got 48 second, but i didnt calculate terminal velocity so I am pretty sure my answer is wrong

Hi HamzaPhysical, Welcome to Physics Forums.

In future, please use the Posting Template provided when you start a thread in the homework areas. This is a forum requirement.

Also, can you show your attempt? How did you arrive at 48 seconds?

Well, First did you convert 29090 ft to meters?

yes

Then, did you use one of the four kinematic equations?

i derived the time equation that you see from one of them

HamzaPhysical said:
i derived the time equation that you see from one of them
Looks like you corrected your earlier error and arrived at the correct answer in the absence of air resistance. No need to convert feet to meters if you use the acceleration of gravity as 32.2 feet per second per second (often rounded to 32). Now if you consider air resistance, the problem becomes more complex, and the time of fall increases substantially because terminal velocity will be reached within a few seconds, the value of which depends on whether you fall belly up or head first , amongst other factors. The problem didn't mention air resistance did it, or are you just curious?

I'm guessing the problem is not being very realistic, it just wants you to find the time of free fall for 29,000 feet. I mean, Mount Everest might be ~29,000 feet above sea level, but there's no way you will reach the sea from free-falling from the peak of Mount Everest. Realistically, you will hit the side of the mountain after not more than a few seconds and then tumble your way down to a relatively level plateau (or just get caught in the ice and freeze to death).

Likes Simon Bridge
Matterwave said:
I'm guessing the problem is not being very realistic, it just wants you to find the time of free fall for 29,000 feet. I mean, Mount Everest might be ~29,000 feet above sea level, but there's no way you will reach the sea from free-falling from the peak of Mount Everest. Realistically, you will hit the side of the mountain after not more than a few seconds and then tumble your way down to a relatively level plateau (or just get caught in the ice and freeze to death).
HamzaPhysical said:
1.If i were to jump of of Mt. Everest (29,090 ft), how long will it take me to hit the ground? The initial velocity is 0, the pull of gravity is equal to 9.81m/s^2(acceleration).

I got 42 seconds, but i didnt calculate terminal velocity so I am pretty sure my answer is wrong

to calculate time i used the equation t= the square root of twice the distance divided by the square root of the acceleration.
I converted feet into meters by multiplying it by 30 cm/ft.
from then on i just plugged the info in.

Attachments

• 15598093689992734816565824775772.jpg
    15598093689992734816565824775772.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 252
Your answer of 42 seconds appears correct if you ignore air resistance. To get 2min 43 sec they appear to have used the terminal velocity of a human which is about 52m/s according to Wikipedia.

Related to How long does it take to free fall from Mt. Everest?

1. How does free fall differ at different altitudes, such as on Mt. Everest?

At higher altitudes, such as on Mt. Everest, the gravitational force is slightly weaker due to the farther distance from the center of the Earth. This means that objects will fall slightly slower and experience less air resistance during free fall. Additionally, the air density is lower at higher altitudes, which can also affect the speed and motion of falling objects.

2. How does air resistance affect free fall on Mt. Everest?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly impact free fall on Mt. Everest. As an object falls through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion due to air molecules colliding with it. At higher altitudes, where the air density is lower, the impact of air resistance is reduced, allowing objects to fall faster. However, at extreme altitudes, the lack of oxygen can also limit the speed at which objects can fall due to decreased air pressure.

3. How does the altitude of Mt. Everest affect the length of free fall?

The altitude of Mt. Everest, which is 8,848 meters above sea level, can significantly impact the length of free fall. Due to the lower air density and weaker gravitational force at this altitude, objects will fall faster and for a longer time compared to free fall at sea level. However, the length of free fall can also be affected by an object's mass and the presence of air resistance.

4. Can an object achieve terminal velocity during free fall on Mt. Everest?

Yes, an object can reach terminal velocity during free fall on Mt. Everest. Terminal velocity is the maximum speed an object can reach while falling due to the balance between the downward force of gravity and the upward force of air resistance. At higher altitudes, the reduced air density allows objects to reach higher speeds and therefore, achieve terminal velocity at a lower altitude compared to free fall at sea level.

5. How does free fall on Mt. Everest compare to free fall on the moon?

Free fall on Mt. Everest and the moon are quite different due to variations in the gravitational force and air resistance. On the moon, where there is no atmosphere, the gravitational force is much weaker, causing objects to fall slower and for a longer time compared to free fall on Earth. Additionally, without air resistance, objects on the moon will continue to accelerate until they hit the surface, whereas on Mt. Everest, they will eventually reach a constant speed due to the presence of air resistance.