How Long Does It Take to Fill an Aquaculture System Using a Pipe?

• Thread starter majin
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking how long it would take to fill a system with a capacity of 2998 cubic liters using a cylindrical pipe with a length of 200m, a width of 100mm, and a water velocity of 3 m/s. However, the question is poorly worded and may be missing some information. Assuming the length of the pipe is irrelevant, the water would be poured into the tank at a rate of approximately 0.024 cubic meters per second, and it would take approximately 124,917 seconds or 34 hours and 42 minutes to fill the system.
majin
I have a maths assignment for aquaculture that is due in on monday and this one questions has stumped me:

if a system which contained 2998cubic litres at full capacity was filled from an ocean intake pipe that was 200m long and 100mm wide and delivered water at a velocity of 3 ms-1, how long would it take to fill the system to capacity?

can anyone help?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Assuming the pipe is cylindrical in shape and that d=100mm is its diameter, then there is in the pipe [itex]\pi(d/2)^2[/itex] cubic meter of water per meter of lenght. And the water is flowing at v=3m/s in the direction of the lenght. So water is poured into the tank at a rate of [itex]\pi(d/2)^2v[/itex] (m³*m)(m*s)= [itex]\pi(d/2)^2v[/itex] m³/s.

Well it's not a good question because they don't tell you that the pipe delivers its full capacity of water for the entire filling process. But beyond that, it doesn't make much sense because they give you the length of the pipe, which doesn't seem to factor into the question.

The length may be just to confuse you, or it may be that you must assume the water takes 200/3 seconds to fill the pipe before filling the tank. I think this is stretching the imagination a bit far though.

Assuming the length was just a decoy, you determine how much water will be provided per second, and then you can use that to determine how many seconds it will take.

Since 3m/s of water is delivered, you must calculate how much water fits in 3 metres of pipe (a cylinder with height 3m, diameter 0.1m).

Related to How Long Does It Take to Fill an Aquaculture System Using a Pipe?

1. What was the specific math question that stumped you?

The math question that stumped me was about finding the volume of a sphere using calculus.

2. Why was this math question challenging for you?

This math question was challenging for me because it required a deep understanding of calculus concepts and formulas, which I was not very familiar with at the time.

3. How did you eventually solve the math question?

After struggling with the question for some time, I consulted with my colleagues and did some additional research on calculus. I also practiced similar problems and eventually, I was able to understand the steps and solve the question correctly.

4. What did you learn from this math question?

This math question taught me the importance of practice and seeking help when faced with challenging problems. It also reinforced the idea that perseverance and determination are key to solving difficult math questions.

5. How do you approach difficult math questions now?

Now, I approach difficult math questions by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. I also consult with others and make use of various resources, such as textbooks and online tutorials, to gain a better understanding of the concepts involved. Additionally, I practice regularly to improve my problem-solving skills.