How long does it take for the sun to produce 10,000 KWh on a 31,700 m² surface?

In summary, The time it takes for the sun to furnish an energy of 10,000 kWh on a surface of 31,700 m² can be found by using the Stefan-Boltzman law to determine the power radiated per unit area, and then using the equation P = dE/dt = ΔE/Δt to solve for the time. The power is constant with time, so solving for Δt directly will give the needed time.
Dassinia
Hello

Homework Statement

How much time does it take to the sun to furnish an energy of 10 000 KWh on a surface of 31 700 m².

Homework Equations

Stefan-Boltzman law ?
the power radiated from a black body = σ*T4

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how I can find the time, I don't know any equation that depend on t to find it, if someone can explain me, that would be great !
Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, so you don't know where time comes in? You know the total energy that must be provided. You also know the power. What is the relationship between energy and power? This will answer your question...

Hello,
Pavg=E/τ ?

Yes, generally power = energy/time (power is the RATE at which energy is produced or expended). So, given that information, how would you solve for time?

Also, you are missing one other thing: the Stefan-Boltzman law give you the power radiated PER unit area from a blackbody emitter. So how would you determine the total power radiated in this situation?

t=E/(σ*T4*31700) ?
Thanks

Or I have to use
P=dE/dt
P*dt=dE
∫Pdt=E
∫(σ*T4*31700)dt=E ?
But integrating from what to what ?

Dassinia said:
t=E/(σ*T4*31700) ?

Thanks

Yes.

Dassinia said:
Or I have to use
P=dE/dt
P*dt=dE
∫Pdt=E
∫(σ*T4*31700)dt=E ?
But integrating from what to what ?

No, you don't have to integrate, because the power is constant with time, so your equation becomes P = dE/dt = ΔE/Δt, and all you have to to is solve for Δt, as you did above.

Ah OK ,
Thank you cepheid !

Related to How long does it take for the sun to produce 10,000 KWh on a 31,700 m² surface?

1. What is the sun's energy?

The sun's energy refers to the electromagnetic radiation emitted by the sun, which includes visible light, ultraviolet rays, and infrared radiation. This energy is essential for sustaining life on Earth and is the primary source of warmth and light.

2. How does the sun's energy reach Earth?

The sun's energy reaches Earth through the process of radiation. The sun emits energy in the form of electromagnetic waves, which travel through space and reach Earth's atmosphere. Some of this energy is absorbed by the atmosphere, while the rest reaches the Earth's surface.

3. How is the sun's energy used on Earth?

The sun's energy is used on Earth in various ways. Plants use it in the process of photosynthesis to produce food, animals consume this food for energy, and humans use it for heating, lighting, and generating electricity through solar panels.

4. How long does it take for the sun's energy to reach Earth?

The sun's energy takes about 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach Earth. This distance is equivalent to the speed of light, which is approximately 93 million miles away from the sun.

5. How does the sun's energy affect the Earth's climate?

The sun's energy plays a crucial role in regulating Earth's climate. Changes in the sun's energy output can impact the Earth's temperature, which can affect weather patterns and other natural systems. Additionally, the sun's energy also determines the Earth's seasons.