How Long Does It Take for a Skier to Stop on a Bunny Hill?

• Thread starter quickslant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, a 25kg skier on a "bunny" hill with a 5 degree incline and an initial velocity of 3.5 m/s will come to a stop in approximately 1.79 seconds due to a net force of friction, gravity, and the parallel component of the normal force acting on them. The distance traveled down the hill can be calculated using the equation d = vi * t + 1/2 * a * t^2.
quickslant
A 25kg skier on a "bunny" hill that is inclined at 5 degrees has an intial velocity of 3.5 m/s. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.20

a) calculate the time taken for the skier to come to a stop
b) the distance traveled down the hill..

what i have so far is..

ive calculated is
Fg =mg = 25*(9.8) = 245N
Fn = mgcos 5 = 25*(9.8) * cos 5 = 244.07N
Friction = (mu) Fn = 0.20* 244.07 = 48.81N
F=ma thus 48.81 = 25a thus a= 1.95 m/s^2

a = Vf - Vi / delta T ... delta T = 1.79s

am i right so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your net force equation. According to yours, friction is the only force acting on the skier. This would mean that he is being pushed by friction and friction only.

ok so i have force normal, force of gravity and fictional force acting on the skier, so how do i add up those three?

You add up the ones parallel to the direction of acceleration. The normal force is not relevant, but the other component that makes up mg is relevant.

so what i have now is Fg + Fk - mg sin 5 = net force
is what i have now correct?

Related to How Long Does It Take for a Skier to Stop on a Bunny Hill?

What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of two surfaces sliding against each other. It is caused by the microscopic imperfections on the surface of objects.

How is friction measured?

Friction is measured using a device called a friction coefficient tester, which measures the amount of force needed to overcome the friction between two surfaces.

What factors affect friction?

The amount of friction between two surfaces is affected by the types of materials, the roughness of the surfaces, the weight of the objects, and the amount of force applied.

What are the different types of friction?

The three main types of friction are static friction, which occurs when two surfaces are at rest and need to be overcome to start moving; kinetic friction, which occurs when two surfaces are already in motion; and rolling friction, which occurs when an object rolls over a surface.

Why is friction important?

Friction plays a crucial role in everyday life, from allowing us to walk and grip objects, to controlling the speed of vehicles and machines. It also helps to prevent objects from slipping and sliding out of place.