How Long Does It Take for a Damped Oscillator's Energy to Halve?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the time it takes for the total energy of an oscillating mass M suspended from a spring to decrease to 0.50 of its initial value. The period of oscillation is 0.880 s and each complete oscillation results in an amplitude reduction of a factor of 0.96 due to friction. The solution involves finding the proportionality constant C by assuming linearity and using it to solve for A(t), which can then be used to find E(t) and the time it takes for the energy to decrease to 0.50 of its initial value. The correct answer is approximately 7.53 seconds.
iamtrojan3

Homework Statement

A mass M is suspended from a spring and oscillates with a period of 0.880 s. Each complete oscillation results in an amplitude reduction of a factor of 0.96 due to a small velocity dependent frictional effect. Calculate the time it takes for the total energy of the oscillator to decrease to 0.50 of its initial value.

Homework Equations

N oscillations=(initial amplitude)x(factor)^N
E=Eo*e^(-t/Tau)
Tau = m/b

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea on how to approach this problem. I need to find tau, which is m/b, but idk what b is. if i have tau, the E on both sides cancel and I'm left with
1/2 = e^-t/tau. t = tau ln (2)
So basicly i need to find tau.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ignore m/b. What fraction of the initial energy is left after one oscillation?
Ans. 0.962
After two oscillations?
Ans. 0.962*0.962
After n oscillations?

i got 16.97 as n. it works because .96^17 = ~ 0.499

So if that's true, 0.88 which is the period * 16.97 which gives me 14.94 seconds.

This makes sense except the answer's still wrong?

OK I'm retarded. n = 7.47

My friend here said not to do .96squared and woulnd't tell me why. So i blame her.

Thanks again =D

Your friend is correct. I got 7.53 s (close enough). Initially, I assumed linearity where there was none.

I will get you started. Assume that the rate of change of the amplitude is proportional to the amplitude. Call the proportionality constant C. Then

[tex]\frac{dA}{dt} = - c A[/tex]

Solve this equation for A(t), and use the fact that A(0.88) = 0.96 A0

Once you have A(t) you can find E(t), etc. etc.

This is a good problem. I learned something from it. Thanks.

Related to How Long Does It Take for a Damped Oscillator's Energy to Halve?

1. What is a damped oscillator?

A damped oscillator is a type of system or object that exhibits periodic motion, where the amplitude of the motion decreases over time due to the presence of a dissipative force.

2. What is the difference between a damped oscillator and an undamped oscillator?

The main difference between a damped oscillator and an undamped oscillator is the presence of a dissipative force in the damped oscillator, which causes the amplitude of the motion to decrease over time. In an undamped oscillator, there is no dissipative force and the amplitude remains constant.

3. How does damping affect the time period of a damped oscillator?

Damping affects the time period of a damped oscillator by decreasing it. As the amplitude of the motion decreases, the time taken for one complete cycle also decreases.

4. What is the significance of the time constant in a damped oscillator?

The time constant in a damped oscillator represents the rate at which the amplitude of the motion decreases. It is inversely proportional to the damping coefficient, which determines the strength of the dissipative force.

5. How can we calculate the damping ratio in a damped oscillator?

The damping ratio in a damped oscillator can be calculated by dividing the damping coefficient by the critical damping coefficient. The critical damping coefficient is a value that represents the minimum amount of damping needed for the oscillator to return to its equilibrium position without oscillating.