How Long Does It Take a Package to Land in a Moving Truck From an Overpass?

In summary: So:0(t) + 4.9m/s^2(t)^2/2 = 100m0 + 4.9m/s^2(t)^2 = 104.9m0 = 104.9mIn summary, the package was dropped from an overpass onto a moving truck 3.9 seconds after the truck started from rest.
fyesics

Homework Statement

A delivery truck wants to speed up its deliveries by dropping its packages into moving trucks. A worker is positioned in an overpass directly above a straight, level road to drop the packages into the truck at the correct time. One day, a delivery truck starts from rest and drives along the road with a constant acceleration of 1/2g. A package is released at the correct instant to land in the truck. If the overpass was 30m above the truck and the truck started from a position 100m from the point of impact, how long after the truck started did the employee wait before dropping the package? (Answer is 3.9s)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The givens I tried to draw out from this problem were:
Average acceleration = 1/2g = 1/2(9.8m/s^2) = 4.9m/s^2
Displacement of package being dropped to truck = 30m
Initial displacement of truck = 100m
Time = ?

I don't know what equations to use in order to solve this... I'm assuming we're dealing with 2 different things at once... but I just don't know what to do...

Physics news on Phys.org
You are trying to make the package and the truck arrive at the same point under the bridge at the same time. So ask yourself: How long does it take the truck to get there from it's starting point? How long does it take the package to get there from the bridge?

I'm still stumped... I tried using the equation:
d = vi(t) + Aav(t)^2/2
and substituted the givens of the package to find the time it took for the package to drop from 30m to 0m:

30m = 0(t) + 9.8m/s^2(t)^2/2
t = 2.47s

(I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be using 9.8 as the average acceleration...)
And then I don't exactly know what to do with that time as I'm still unsure about the givens of the truck...

Any hints on which equations I'm supposed to use...? And if I've gotten the right givens...?

fyesics said:

Homework Statement

A delivery truck wants to speed up its deliveries by dropping its packages into moving trucks. A worker is positioned in an overpass directly above a straight, level road to drop the packages into the truck at the correct time. One day, a delivery truck starts from rest and drives along the road with a constant acceleration of 1/2g. A package is released at the correct instant to land in the truck. If the overpass was 30m above the truck and the truck started from a position 100m from the point of impact, how long after the truck started did the employee wait before dropping the package? (Answer is 3.9s)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The givens I tried to draw out from this problem were:
Average acceleration = 1/2g = 1/2(9.8m/s^2) = 4.9m/s^2
Displacement of package being dropped to truck = 30m
Initial displacement of truck = 100m
Time = ?

I don't know what equations to use in order to solve this... I'm assuming we're dealing with 2 different things at once... but I just don't know what to do...
the truck takes √40 seconds to come and the packet takes √6 seconds to reach truck. subtraction of the two is 3.88s
u should take initial vel. of truck and packet to be 0.

To solve this problem, we can use the equations of motion for uniform acceleration. The equations are:
1. v = u + at (where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time)
2. s = ut + 1/2at^2 (where s is displacement)
3. v^2 = u^2 + 2as

First, we need to find the final velocity of the truck when the package is dropped. Using equation 1, we have:
v = u + at
v = 0 + (1/2)(9.8)(t)
v = 4.9t m/s

Next, we can use equation 2 to find the displacement of the truck when the package is dropped. We know that the displacement of the package is 30m, so we have:
s = ut + 1/2at^2
30 = (0)t + 1/2(4.9)(t)^2
30 = 2.45t^2
t^2 = 30/2.45
t = √(30/2.45)
t = 3.9s

Therefore, the employee waited 3.9 seconds before dropping the package.

Related to How Long Does It Take a Package to Land in a Moving Truck From an Overpass?

What is uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration is a type of motion in which the velocity of an object changes at a constant rate, resulting in a straight line on a velocity-time graph.

What is the formula for uniform acceleration?

The formula for uniform acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

How is uniform acceleration different from non-uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration is characterized by a constant rate of change in velocity, while non-uniform acceleration involves a changing rate of acceleration. This means that the velocity-time graph for non-uniform acceleration would be curved, while for uniform acceleration it would be a straight line.

What are some real-life examples of uniform acceleration?

Some real-life examples of uniform acceleration include a car starting from rest and gradually increasing its speed, a roller coaster going down a straight track, and a free-falling object near the Earth's surface.

How is uniform acceleration used in physics?

Uniform acceleration is a fundamental concept in physics and is used in many calculations and equations to describe the motion of objects. It is also used to study the effects of forces on objects and to analyze the motion of objects in real-world scenarios.