How long do mobile phones last?

• Thread starter vix43
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mobile
In summary, there are rumors that mobile phones are intentionally made to only last for a short period of time in order to encourage people to constantly buy new ones. However, this is not entirely true and the quality of phones is driven by consumer demand for inexpensive, trendy devices. The speaker's Panasonic GD87e phone, which cost £279, has started to turn off and on unexpectedly after a year of use. They plan to send it to the manufacturer for repairs.
vix43
I read somewhere that apparently mobile phones are being made to last only a short amount of time (maybe a year or so) so that people have to keep buying new ones when theirs packs in.

I've had my Panasonic GD87e phone now for a year next month and it has started to turn itself off in the most inconvinient (sp?) times, e.g. when your on the phone etc, and then immediately after turns itself on. This is starting to get quite annoying now as you can imagine.

I was just wondering if this rumour is true and that my mob keeps doing this because of this 'scam'.

Vix

Computer science news on Phys.org
They're not made to self destruct at any given time, although it may seem that way to some people. How well the phones are made is driven by what it is deemed the majority of the populace wants - inexpensive phones, the latest gimmicks, gadgets and appearance. Most people aren't willing to pay a fortune for a phone that will last for years, so, they're not made to last.

I thought not. One slight problem though, my phone cost £279! :eek:
Oh well, i'll send it to the manufacturer to get the problem solved and hopefully it won't be a major problem. :smile:

Related to How long do mobile phones last?

1. How long do mobile phones typically last?

The average lifespan of a mobile phone is around 2 to 3 years. However, with proper care and maintenance, they can last up to 4 or 5 years.

2. What factors affect the lifespan of a mobile phone?

The lifespan of a mobile phone can be affected by various factors such as usage, battery life, and software updates. Heavy usage, frequent drops and exposure to extreme temperatures can shorten the lifespan of a phone.

3. Can a mobile phone's lifespan be extended?

Yes, a mobile phone's lifespan can be extended by taking good care of it. This includes using a protective case, avoiding exposure to water and extreme temperatures, and regularly updating the software.

4. Do different phone brands have different lifespans?

Yes, the lifespan of a mobile phone can vary depending on the brand and model. Generally, more expensive phones tend to have longer lifespans due to their higher quality components.

5. What are some signs that a mobile phone is reaching the end of its lifespan?

Some signs that a mobile phone is reaching the end of its lifespan include a significantly reduced battery life, slow performance, and frequent crashes or freezes. Physical damage such as cracks or malfunctions in the hardware can also indicate that a phone is nearing the end of its lifespan.