How long did this car accelerate

In summary, the conversation involves someone asking for help with a physics problem involving a car accelerating and the charge of an electron. A forum rule is mentioned and a formula for calculating time and distance is provided. The conversation ends with a question about the charge of a paint particle.
ryansmith885
Hello

I need help with a question i am doing: A car accelerates at 2.4ms^-2 until it reaches a speed of 16ms^-1 how long did it accelerate for? and what distance did it travel while accelerating? could someone please help me...
Thanks
Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Newton's laws and show ur work.(forum rule : Show people the path, don't drive them through).

um yeah that's where its gets difficult cuause i don't know how.. I am not very good at physics... mayb u could show me a couple more tips...a few formulas or something
thanx

k. one of the equation is v = u + at
where v - final vel.
u - initial vel.
a - acceleration
t - time
since its not clear(atleast to me) what is the initial vel. you can take it to be zero or report the question is wrong :)

ok thank u a lot for your help i also have another question:

the charge of one electron is -1.6x10^-19 am i correct?

so if i have a paint particle that carries 1.2 x 10^10 electrons (12000000000)what is the toatal charge it carries: i tried -1.6x10^-19 = -0.00000000000000000016 so i tried
-0.00000000000000000016 x 12000000000 electrons is this method correct? thanks again

ryansmith885 said:
Hello

I need help with a question i am doing: A car accelerates at 2.4ms^-2 until it reaches a speed of 16ms^-1 how long did it accelerate for? and what distance did it travel while accelerating? could someone please help me...
Thanks
Ryan

To find the time:

v=at

To find the distance:

ax=½v²

Related to How long did this car accelerate

1. How is the acceleration of a car measured?

The acceleration of a car is measured by calculating the change in velocity over a certain amount of time.

2. What units are used to measure acceleration?

The most common units used to measure acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s^2) and kilometers per hour squared (km/h^2).

3. How long does it take for a car to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph?

The time it takes for a car to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph can vary greatly depending on the type of car, its engine power, and the road conditions. On average, it takes around 8 seconds for a regular car to reach 60 mph.

4. Can a car accelerate forever?

No, a car cannot accelerate forever. As the car reaches higher speeds, the air resistance increases, making it harder for the car to accelerate. Eventually, the car will reach its maximum velocity and will stop accelerating.

5. How does the weight of a car affect its acceleration?

The weight of a car directly affects its acceleration. A heavier car will require more force to accelerate compared to a lighter car. This is why sports cars, which are designed to accelerate quickly, are often lighter than regular cars.