How long can a planet sustain life?

In summary, Andre says that we don't know how long life will last on Earth, but that it could last until December 21, 2012.
stargazer3
Dear Physics Forums community,

This question has been bothering me for a few days, and I must apologize for the ambiguity of it. I'll try to explain it a little bit. I am not asking when the Sun will expand or the Earth cool down via radiative processes. So what I asked myself was: if you treat all organisms on a planet as a single system, how well does it perform "in the long run"? How fast the biosphere is depleting planet's natural resources? How efficiently all sorts of life are being recycled? If you exclude extintion events caused by asteroid impacts or radiation butsts, how the total biomass vs. time function can look like?

I do realize that these questions aren't very clear, but I don't really expect definite answers. I don't have a good biology background, so it's hard for me to put it all together.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Obviously this is arm chair philosophizing and things are impossible to quantify. Essentialy it's all about cycles and recycling, water cycles, oxygen cycles, carbon cycles. The big question is if all cycles balance or if there are leaks.

Interesting is the big carbon cycle, since the amount if carbon in the biosphere is likely the limiting factor for the total possible biomass. Interesting are the very long cycles, coal forming, rock weathering, but especially oceanic micro organism making carbonate shells, remains of which we see in the white cliffs around the world.

So this seems a leak in the carbon cycle, when carbon reacts with calcium and oxygen forming limestone, calcite etc.

It's not a complete leak as volcanism returns some of that as CO2. So the question is, if this balances and if not, at what (much?) lower level will the cycle eventually balance? Enough to sustain life? Nobody's guess. Even if we could quantify the carbon loss today exactly, we have no idea about future mass flows. But I don't think we have to worry about that for our species.

Just two cents, it may be totally different.

Last edited:
Thank you Andre! I was afraid that my question was a total dead-end, but your reply is just what I needed!

:smile: You're welcome, I like collecting thank you's :rolleyes:

One more thing, burning fossil fuels also implies that we are indeed recycling old and lost carbon for the moment, bringing it back into the biomass carbon cycle.

Thinking only in terms of "cycles" is too restrictive. For example, consider what happened to life on Earth when some pesky organism mutated and started doing photosynthesis for the first time.

Most of the previously existing species were poisoned by the free oxygen that was released, but the ecosystem as a whole evolved and carried on just fine in a very different environment.

To answer the OP the only thing we can say with reasonable confidence is "about three and a half billion years, at least". We have only educated guesses as to whether life even exists anywhere else, so all the modelling we do - no matter how elegantly constructed - is highly speculative.

My own speculation would be that if it were not for increases in solar luminosity that will render the Earth uninhabitable in about a billion years that we could continue until internal heat stopped powering plate tectonics and the cycling Andre referred to ground to a halt. Still, that should take at least another billion years to prove fatal.

It should last until December 21, 2012. After that, all bets are off! :biggrin:

It is an interesting thought about burning fossil fuels. I wonder if there could be another pesky organism mutation (hats off to AlphZero) which allows rapid fossil recycling. Or what if we are *interrupts himself* But then again, I plunge into chair philosophizing even deeper. Thanks again.

Related to How long can a planet sustain life?

1. How long can a planet sustain life?

The length of time a planet can sustain life varies greatly and is dependent on many factors. Some planets, like Earth, have been able to sustain life for billions of years, while others may only be able to sustain life for a few million years. It ultimately depends on the planet's composition, atmosphere, and distance from its host star.

2. What conditions are necessary for a planet to sustain life?

There are several key conditions necessary for a planet to sustain life. These include a stable and temperate climate, liquid water, a suitable atmosphere, and the presence of organic molecules. The planet must also have a source of energy, such as sunlight, to support life.

3. Can a planet sustain life indefinitely?

It is highly unlikely that a planet can sustain life indefinitely. Eventually, all stars will die and the planet's environment will change, making it inhospitable for life. Additionally, natural disasters or major shifts in a planet's orbit can also impact its ability to sustain life over long periods of time.

4. How do humans affect a planet's ability to sustain life?

Human activities, such as pollution and climate change, can have a significant impact on a planet's ability to sustain life. These activities can alter the planet's atmosphere and temperature, making it difficult for certain forms of life to survive. It is important for humans to be mindful of their impact on the environment in order to preserve a planet's ability to sustain life.

5. Are there other factors besides a planet's physical conditions that can affect its ability to sustain life?

Yes, there are other factors that can impact a planet's ability to sustain life. For example, the presence of other living organisms can play a role in a planet's ecosystem and affect its ability to sustain life. Additionally, external events such as asteroid impacts or cosmic events can also have a significant impact on a planet's ability to sustain life.