How Long and Fast Did Apollo 11 Orbit the Moon?

In summary, the Apollo 11's orbit around the moon had an average altitude of 111km and it took approximately 115 minutes to orbit the moon at a velocity of 1600 m/s. The radius of the moon is 1785km and its mass is 7.3 * 10^22kg. To calculate the orbit time and velocity, the equations C=2r*pi, v = √(Gm/r), and T = 2pi √(r³/(Gm)) were used, with the additional conversion of km to meters. However, the given answers may be incorrect as the assumption that 111km is the circumference is most likely incorrect.
kashiark

Homework Statement

On July 19, 1969, Apollo 11's orbit around the moon was adjusted to an avearge orbit of 111km. The radius of the moon is 1785km, and the mass of the moon is 7.3 * 10^22kg.
a. How many minutes did Apollo 11 take to orbit the moon?
b. At what velocity did it orbit the moon?

Homework Equations

C=2r*pi
v = √(Gm/r)
T = 2pi √(r³/(Gm))

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that 111 is the circumference, and I'm finding the radius and adding it to the moon's radius. When I multiply by 1000, it's because the equation calls for it in meters.
111=2r*pi
r=17.7

T = 2pi √((1000(17.7+1785))³/(G*7.3*10^22))
T=6892 seconds or 115 minutes

v = √((G7.3*10^22)/(1000(17.7+1785)))
v=1600 m/s

I'm almost positive that these answers are incorrect, but I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
111km will be the average altitude above the moon's surface and nothing to do with circumference.

Your calculations and equations are mostly correct, but there are a few minor errors. First, the given average orbit of 111km is not the circumference, but rather the radius of the orbit. So you do not need to multiply by 1000 to convert to meters. Additionally, in the equation for velocity, the mass of the moon should be in kilograms, not in grams. Finally, in the equation for period, the radius should be squared, not cubed.

Corrected solutions:

a. To find the period, we can use the equation T = 2π√(r³/(Gm)). Plugging in the values, we get:

T = 2π√((111000)^3/(6.67*10^-11 * 7.3*10^22)) = 115 minutes

b. To find the velocity, we can use the equation v = √(Gm/r). Plugging in the values, we get:

v = √((6.67*10^-11 * 7.3*10^22)/(111000)) = 1600 m/s

So your answer for the velocity was correct, but the period was incorrect due to the errors mentioned above. Keep in mind that these are average values and the actual period and velocity may vary slightly due to the moon's elliptical orbit.

Related to How Long and Fast Did Apollo 11 Orbit the Moon?

1. What is period and velocity?

Period refers to the amount of time it takes for an object to complete one full cycle of motion. Velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's position over time.

2. How do you find the period and velocity of an object?

To find the period of an object, you can measure the time it takes for the object to complete one full cycle of motion. To find the velocity, you can measure the distance the object travels in a certain amount of time and divide it by the time taken.

3. What units are used to measure period and velocity?

Period is typically measured in seconds (s) while velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s).

4. Are period and velocity related to each other?

Yes, period and velocity are related. The period of an object is inversely proportional to the velocity. This means that as the velocity increases, the period decreases and vice versa.

5. How can the period and velocity of an object be used in scientific research?

The period and velocity of an object can be used to study and understand the motion of objects. They can also be used in various equations and formulas to analyze and predict the behavior of objects in different situations.