How likely is it your job will be automated?

In summary, Oxford University academics Michael Osborne and Carl Frey calculated how susceptible to automation each job is based on nine key skills required to perform it; social perceptiveness, negotiation, persuasion, assisting and caring for others, originality, fine arts, finger dexterity, manual dexterity and the need to work in a cramped work space. They found that social perceptiveness, negotiation, persuasion, and assisting and caring for others are the most important skills for jobs that are at high risk of automation.
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Oxford University academics Michael Osborne and Carl Frey calculated how susceptible to automation each job is based on nine key skills required to perform it; social perceptiveness, negotiation, persuasion, assisting and caring for others, originality, fine arts, finger dexterity, manual dexterity and the need to work in a cramped work space.

The list is up on the BBC here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34066941 Input your job (or just browse the others) to find out the automation risk according to the study.

It might not be gospel but I find modern automation very interesting, it's remarkable how many jobs can be displaced by a small number of technologies. Looks like I'm relatively safe: 8% for biologists.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was also 8%. I don't think engineers like me will be replaced any time soon, someone has to write and maintain the automation of everyone else's job.

Paramedic was 5% :smile:

Yup, noticed this. An important trend for the future.

What make a physical scientist (physicist and should include chemist) more susceptible (20%) to automation compared to a chemist (6%)

jedishrfu said:
I'm safe, I think...
Cheating! You're already a robot.

I think the answer would depend on the status of A.I at any given moment.

Likes Monsterboy
WWGD said:
Cheating! You're already a robot.
But I have a heart and...

We're off to see the Wizard the Wonderful Wizard of Oz... We hear he is a wiz of wiz if ever a wiz there was...

Likes Ryan_m_b and WWGD
I work as a programmer, so very low risk. More likely that I'll be the one working on automating such tasks :biggrin:

Think i need a change of career. 75% however when i looked at the average wage of my job it was a little under on there so that me a lil happier (glazing fabricator)

Tosh5457 said:
I work as a programmer, so very low risk. More likely that I'll be the one working on automating such tasks :biggrin:

Until the singularity occurs. :biggrin:

Likes Tosh5457
My job isn't in the list but it is VERY likely it'll be taken over by robotic automation in the future. Machinery operator in a freezer storage for a large grocery, this can easily be reduced to automation. Luckily this is my part-time job throughout uni. :D

gleem said:
What make a physical scientist (physicist and should include chemist) more susceptible (20%) to automation compared to a chemist (6%)

The original study is here: http://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/downloads/academic/The_Future_of_Employment.pdf

It's very long, section IV explains the methodology. The quick answer is they take nine categories, rank how important these categories are to an individual job and then use an equation to create a score. The categories are:

- Finger Dexterity
- Manual Dexterity
- Cramped work space/awkward positions
- Originality
- Fine arts
- Social perceptiveness
- Negotiation
- Persuasion
- Assisting and caring for others

The more of those your job requires the harder it is to automate.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any raw data showing the stats for each job, just the final score.

Related to How likely is it your job will be automated?

1. How do you determine the likelihood of a job being automated?

The likelihood of a job being automated is determined by analyzing various factors such as the complexity of the tasks involved, the availability of technology to perform those tasks, and the cost-effectiveness of automation compared to human labor.

2. Which industries are at the highest risk of job automation?

Industries that involve repetitive and routine tasks, such as manufacturing, transportation, and customer service, are at a higher risk of job automation. However, with advancements in technology, almost any job can be automated to some extent.

3. Will automation lead to job loss or job displacement?

Automation may lead to some job loss in the short term, but it also creates new opportunities for workers to learn new skills and take on more complex tasks. Therefore, it is more likely to result in job displacement rather than job loss.

4. Can automation be beneficial for the workforce?

Yes, automation can be beneficial for the workforce in many ways. It can eliminate the need for workers to perform dangerous or monotonous tasks, increase productivity and efficiency, and create new job opportunities in the field of technology.

5. How can individuals prepare for the potential impact of job automation?

Individuals can prepare for job automation by continuously updating their skills and knowledge, seeking education and training in emerging technologies, and being adaptable to change. It is also essential for governments and organizations to provide support and resources for workers to transition into new roles as automation becomes more prevalent.

Back