How Likely For Trait to be Preserved Across Large Population?

• Thread starter jon4444
  • Start date
  • Tags
    population
In summary, the state of knowledge in this area is largely unknown, but it is possible that genes will diffuse into the larger population and be preserved.
jon4444
I'm trying to understand the impact of gene clustering on genetic inheritance, and to get an overall sense of what the state of knowledge is in this area (i.e., how much is currently unknown?)

By way of example, say an original group of geographically isolated people we now call "Spanish" had "Trait X"--that is some phenotype based on a number of different genes or potentially some clustering of genes that spread across the entire population.

Do we know with any certainty how likely it might be for "Trait X" to be preserved across all people who are related to original "Spanish" group (but who may have interbred with other historically geographically isolated populations?) For example, are there non-Mendelian mechanisms (currently known or potentially unknown) that might make preservation of the "Trait X" cluster more likely than other simple mendelian traits?

Thanks, Jon

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean, but let's start with this:

If 'Trait X' gives its bearers the ability to reproduce more successfully than the alternatives (call them 'Traits somethingElse') then 'Trait X' is more likely to propagate through the whole population than is 'Traits somethingElse'.

I am not sure that is what you are asking.

No, my question is once the trait spreads through the population (and assume the trait is not directly related to improved reproduction); then, after that, the population is no longer isolated, are there mechanisms which might maintain the trait to a higher degree than would normally expected...

jon4444 said:
No, my question is once the trait spreads through the population (and assume the trait is not directly related to improved reproduction); then, after that, the population is no longer isolated, are there mechanisms which might maintain the trait to a higher degree than would normally expected...

I'm not a biologist but I'd find any mechanism, that maintains a trait not directly related to improved reproduction at a higher degree than normal, very interesting, regardless of whether the population is isolated or not.

Dods.

You are basically asking if genes will diffuse into the larger population, correct? Your question is a funny one because you're asking something most people would never bother to ask once they've understood Mendelian genetics.

I don't think this is the answer you are looking for: inbreeding, incest, Oedipal complex and whatnot can all preserve Trait-X. This is how animal breeders, such as fish and shrimp, breed unique forms of a species until it is no longer anything like the wild specimens. The same goes for plants and crops. Most common are the dog
breeds.

And genetic drift applies as well.

Ygggdrasil said:
If I'm interpreting your question correctly, you're asking about the probability that an allele will become fixed in a population. The following wikipedia article may be useful to you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixation_(population_genetics)

Thanks, that's a constructive response.

Now, once a set of genes become fixed in a population, could it be preserved once the population is no longer isolated, due to dynamics related to clustering, or how control genes (FKA "junk" DNA) interact with the Trait X genes?

A way it can be preserved or increased in the population though not in itself having any selective advantage is when its locus genetically closely linked (close to) another gene with an alolele that is positively selected for. That is called linkage disequilibrium and can last centuries and millenia.

Another thing sometimes seen is the small untyical population expands greatly due to historical or cultural factors. Perhaps not quite that but nearly is the high frequency of some alleles that are not common in the general European population whence they ioriginated, amongst Quebecqois or Afrikaans.

Likes 2 people

Related to How Likely For Trait to be Preserved Across Large Population?

What is a trait?

A trait is a characteristic or attribute that is inherited or acquired by an organism and can affect its physical, behavioral, or physiological features.

How do traits get passed down in a population?

Traits are passed down through genes, which are segments of DNA that carry instructions for specific traits. During sexual reproduction, genes from both parents are combined, resulting in a unique combination of traits in the offspring.

What factors influence the likelihood of a trait being preserved in a large population?

Several factors can influence the likelihood of a trait being preserved in a large population, including natural selection, genetic drift, and gene flow. Natural selection favors traits that provide a survival or reproductive advantage, while genetic drift and gene flow can introduce or eliminate traits in a population.

Can a trait that is not advantageous still be preserved in a large population?

Yes, a trait that is not advantageous can still be preserved in a large population through neutral evolution. This occurs when a trait does not provide a survival or reproductive advantage, but is not harmful either, so it remains in the population.

What is the role of genetic mutations in the preservation of traits in a large population?

Genetic mutations can introduce new traits into a population, and if these traits are advantageous, they may be preserved through natural selection. However, mutations can also cause harmful or neutral traits, which may not be preserved in a population.