How light is deflected by gravitational field

In summary: I don't know the details myself, but I'm sure that any decent book on general relativity will describe the calculation in detail.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of light being deflected by a gravitational field and how it relates to the idea of photons having mass. It is explained that in general relativity, gravity is not dependent on mass, but rather energy, and light has energy. The source of gravity in Einstein's theory is not mass, but the stress-energy tensor. It is also mentioned that there is a difference between relativistic mass and rest mass, and that the deflection of light in general relativity is twice that predicted by Newtonian theory. The conversation concludes by suggesting that a book on general rel
vaishakh
I have a general doubt. It is sai that light is deflected by gravitational field. That means photons are subjected to gravitational attractions.
Then how can they have mass 0? In fact if we put mass as zero and follow the Newton's law of gravitation, then there must be no attractive force for a photon.

Physics news on Phys.org
In general relativity, a particle does not have to have mass in order to be influenced by gravity. In GR, gravity is basically a manifestation of curved spacetime, which affects the motion of all objects whether they have mass or not.

The deflection of light by a gravitational field is a consequence of general relativity, which supersedes Newton's law of gravity.

vaishakh said:
I have a general doubt. It is sai that light is deflected by gravitational field. That means photons are subjected to gravitational attractions.
Then how can they have mass 0? In fact if we put mass as zero and follow the Newton's law of gravitation, then there must be no attractive force for a photon.

That's easy to answer. In GR, gravity is coupled to energy, not mass (specifically, the stress-energy tensor). And light has energy.

The source of gravity is mass in Newton's theory of gravity. It is not mass in Einsteins theory - in Einstein's theory the source of gravity is the stress-energy tensor.

You should also DEFINITELY read the usual FAQ on the topic:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/light_mass.html

which talks about "relativistic mass" vs "invariant mass". This removes some important semantic ambiguities from the discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the OP's question, "light" is not the "source" but the "target".
In other words, "light" is an example of "matter" in the often quoted "spacetime tells matter how to move" [as opposed to the rest of quote "matter tells spacetime how to curve"], due to John A. Wheeler.

pervect said:
You should also DEFINITELY read the usual FAQ on the topic:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/light_mass.html

which talks about "relativistic mass" vs "invariant mass". This removes some important semantic ambiguities from the discussion.

just to add to the fray, I'm one them old-schoolers that prefer to think of "mass", without further qualification as "relativistic mass" rather than "rest mass" which is the same as "invariant mass". photons actually do have relativistic mass. their (relativististic) mass is [itex] m = E/c^2 = h\nu/c^2 [/itex]. the relationshipship between relativistic mass and rest mass (or invariant mass) is

[tex] m = \frac{m_0}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}} [/tex]

where [itex] m_0 [/itex] is the rest mass or invariant mass. since, for photons, [itex] v = c [/itex], the rest mass must be zero and that is why it is commonly said (in recent times) that light has no mass.

Last edited by a moderator:
But even using "relativistic mass", you can't just plug that into Newton's law of gravity and expect a correct answer.

What do we mean by relavistic mass and rest mass? - Like inertial mass means resistance against force.

vaishakh said:
What do we mean by relavistic mass and rest mass? - Like inertial mass means resistance against force.

Did you read the FAQ?

I am sorry if you feel disturbed. I had originally posted this in Gen Phys but it was moved here since relativitistic concepts give answer to this. However I am a big 0 in relativity and I know nothing about it? Anyway Whatare you talking abt FAQ? I couldn't see FAQ in relativity column. I am extremely sorry if I am frustrating you?

vaishakh said:
Anyway Whatare you talking abt FAQ? I couldn't see FAQ in relativity column.
Reread post #4.

One of these days, someone will actually READ the link when I post it! I'm sure of it!

So, vaishakh, did you find the link this time around (in my post #4), and read it?

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
But even using "relativistic mass", you can't just plug that into Newton's law of gravity and expect a correct answer.

i think i agree with you in general, but i don't see how the deflection of a photon in the presence of an acceleration of gravity [itex]g_0[/itex] would be different from what a physicist around Newton's time (who doesn't see the speed of light as being qualitatively different from any other fast speed) would expect for a particle of some non-zero mass traveling at speed c. would not the parabolic deflection be the same?

My point is that applying a Newtonian gravitational model to calculate the deflection of light implicitly assumes a flat spacetime. To find the full deflection of light as it passes a massive body one must also consider the curvature of spacetime as treated in general relativity.

rbj said:
i think i agree with you in general, but i don't see how the deflection of a photon in the presence of an acceleration of gravity [itex]g_0[/itex] would be different from what a physicist around Newton's time (who doesn't see the speed of light as being qualitatively different from any other fast speed) would expect for a particle of some non-zero mass traveling at speed c. would not the parabolic deflection be the same?

The deflection of light by masses in GR is twice that predicted by Newtonian theory - that is one of the classical tests of GR.

The deflection of light is controlled by a differential equation, called the geodesic equation, that's fairly similar in large to the Newtonian differential equation.

The difference is that there are additional terms, which can losely be ascribed to spatial "curvature", that become important at high velocities, and cause the beam of light to curve more under GR than it would under Newtonian theory.

There's a little bit about this in the wikipedia article, under "bending of light"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_relativity

Related to How light is deflected by gravitational field

1. How does gravity affect the path of light?

Gravity is a fundamental force that affects all objects with mass, including light. When light travels near a massive object, such as a star or black hole, it is deflected or bent due to the curvature of space caused by the object's gravitational field. This can cause the light's path to appear curved or distorted.

2. What is the difference between gravitational lensing and gravitational deflection?

Gravitational lensing refers to the bending of light around a massive object, such as a galaxy or cluster of galaxies, due to its gravitational field. This results in a magnified or distorted image of the object behind the lensing source. Gravitational deflection, on the other hand, is the bending of light by a single massive object, such as a planet or star.

3. How is the amount of light deflection determined by the strength of a gravitational field?

The amount of light deflection is determined by the mass and distance of the object creating the gravitational field. The stronger the gravitational field, the greater the deflection of light. For example, a black hole has a very strong gravitational field and can cause significant deflection of light.

4. Does the wavelength of light affect its deflection by a gravitational field?

No, the wavelength of light does not affect its deflection by a gravitational field. All forms of light, whether visible, infrared, or ultraviolet, are affected in the same way by gravity. However, the amount of deflection can vary depending on the wavelength of light.

5. Can light be completely absorbed or blocked by a gravitational field?

No, light cannot be completely absorbed or blocked by a gravitational field. The light may be deflected, but it will still continue to travel through space. However, in extreme cases, such as near a black hole, the intense gravitational field can prevent light from escaping, creating a region of total darkness known as the event horizon.