How Is Work Calculated in the Presence of Kinetic Friction?

W = Ff * d = Mu N * dhere d = 6mso W = Mu (N + 280sin18 - 80g) * 6= 0.200 (80g + 280sin18 - 80g) * 6= 0.200 * 280sin18 * 6= 1.60*10^3 JIn summary, the work done by the kinetic frictional force is 1.60*10^3 J.
shawonna23
A 280 N force is pulling an 80.0 kg refrigerator across a horizontal surface. The force acts at an angle of 18.0° above the surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.200, and the refrigerator moves a distance of 6.00 m.
(a) Find the work done by the pulling force.
1.60*10^3 J
(b) Find the work done by the kinetic frictional force.
J

I have the answer for part a, but i keep getting the wrong answer for part b. Can someone please help me solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
shawonna23 said:
A 280 N force is pulling an 80.0 kg refrigerator across a horizontal surface. The force acts at an angle of 18.0° above the surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.200, and the refrigerator moves a distance of 6.00 m.
(a) Find the work done by the pulling force.
1.60*10^3 J
(b) Find the work done by the kinetic frictional force.
J

I have the answer for part a, but i keep getting the wrong answer for part b. Can someone please help me solve this problem?

for the work done by frictional force

first of all Ff = coeff(Mu) times Normal force (N)

so N + 280sin18 - 80g = 0

Ff = Mu N

Work done by friction is Ff times distance

For part b, we can use the formula for work done by friction: W = Fdcosθ, where F is the force of friction, d is the distance, and θ is the angle between the force and the displacement.

First, we need to calculate the force of friction using the formula F = μN, where μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction and N is the normal force. The normal force is equal to the weight of the refrigerator, which is mg, where m is the mass and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

So, N = mg = (80.0 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 784 N

Then, F = μN = (0.200)(784 N) = 156.8 N

Now, we can plug in the values in the formula for work done by friction:

W = (156.8 N)(6.00 m)cos(18.0°) = (156.8 N)(6.00 m)(cos 18.0°) = 156.8 N(6.00 m)(0.951) = 893.376 J

Therefore, the work done by the kinetic frictional force is 893.376 J.

Related to How Is Work Calculated in the Presence of Kinetic Friction?

What is the definition of kinetic frictional force?

Kinetic frictional force is the resistance force that occurs when two objects are in motion and in contact with each other.

What factors affect the amount of kinetic frictional force?

The amount of kinetic frictional force is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the force pushing the objects together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

What is the difference between kinetic and static frictional force?

Kinetic frictional force occurs when two objects are in motion, while static frictional force occurs when two objects are at rest and trying to move.

How can kinetic frictional force be reduced?

Kinetic frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants or by making the surfaces smoother.

What is the unit of measurement for kinetic frictional force?

The unit of measurement for kinetic frictional force is the Newton (N).