How Is Work Calculated in Physics Problems Involving Force and Displacement?

In summary, the force acting on the object is 2x times the weight of the object and it causes it to work 10 meters in the x direction.
tubworld
I got a question below:

A force F = (2x i + 6y j) N acts on an object as it moves in the x direction from the origin to x = 5 m. Find the work W = Fdr done on the object by the force.

I felt that the answer shld be 2x * 5 = 10 but it's too simple to be true is it?

One more question:

A mass (m = 3 * 10^-5 kg) drops vertically at constant speed under the influence of gravity and air resistance.
(a) After the drop has fallen h metres, what is the work done by gravity?
(b) what is the work done by the air resistance?

The ans shld be mgh for part A and -mgh for part b right? cos both are in opposite direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
firstly, The question is telling you that the Force is a function of position NOT a constant force so yes it is not so simple

secondly yes you appear to be correct, at terminal velocity air resistance equals weight and is in opposite direction, you might usefully consider where the energy is going and so get some insight into the process.

pls give hints: thanx!

hmm.. if that's the case, how do i proceed from here? I am really clueless as to what is this.. ...

The general form for work done is

[tex]W = \int_{x_1}^{x_2} F \cdot dx[/tex]

It is why you are able to only use the x-component of F to find work. The dot product of the y-component with the displacement is zero. So only the x-component of the force is doing any work along x.

Since, as has been mentioned, F isn't a constant over the displacement, you have to "sum" up all the F's over each infinitesimal displacement. Luckly, calculus has taught us how to do that via an integration procedure. You should be able to do the rest.

Zz.

so after working out, i got... ...

let me verify this: so i got to integrate 2x with respect to x and its upper limit is 5 and lower limit 0 is it?

tubworld said:
let me verify this: so i got to integrate 2x with respect to x and its upper limit is 5 and lower limit 0 is it?

As simple as that, yes.

Zz.

Related to How Is Work Calculated in Physics Problems Involving Force and Displacement?

What does "stuck at this prob.on work done" mean?

"Stuck at this prob.on work done" refers to being unable to make progress or complete a task or project at work, often due to facing a difficult problem or challenge.

Why do people get stuck at work?

People can get stuck at work for a variety of reasons, such as lack of resources or support, unclear instructions or expectations, personal or professional obstacles, or simply not knowing how to approach a problem.

How can I get unstuck at work?

To get unstuck at work, try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable tasks, seeking help or advice from colleagues or mentors, taking a break and coming back to the problem with a fresh perspective, or trying a different approach or strategy.

Can being stuck at work be a good thing?

Being stuck at work can be frustrating, but it can also be an opportunity for growth and learning. It can help you identify areas for improvement, develop problem-solving skills, and gain a better understanding of your strengths and weaknesses.

How can I prevent getting stuck at work in the future?

To prevent getting stuck at work in the future, try setting clear goals and expectations for yourself, regularly checking in with your progress, seeking feedback and support from others, and continuously learning and improving your skills.