How Is Time Factored Into the Derivation of the Ideal Gas Law?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the ideal gas law, specifically focusing on the relationship between force, time, and change in momentum. The question is raised about why the "time" in the equation is the time it takes for the particle to travel to the opposite face and back again instead of the time of collision. The expert explains that this is because the particle only interacts with the wall once every interval, and the equation is finding a force that would have the same effect as the intermittent collisions.
eddywalrus
Here is a screenshot from a page from a textbook that explains how to derive the ideal gas law:
upload_2015-3-18_12-7-52.png

In the third bold line, I don't understand how "time" in force = (change of momentum)/(time) is equal to 2x/u (the time it takes for the particle to travel to the opposite face and back again) -- I always assumed that:

impulse = Force x time
change in momentum = Force x time
where time in this case refers to the time of contact between the two colliding objects? Furthermore, since the particle doesn't change its momentum over the duration of traveling to the opposite face and back again (but instead changes momentum during its collision with the container wall), shouldn't the "time" in this case refer to the time of collision?

Thank you so much for all your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure you can derive (change of momentum)/(time) from some basic formulas.

F = ma
a = Δv/Δt
Δp = mΔv

F = ma and a = Δv/Δt gets you F = mΔv/Δt

F = mΔv/Δt and Δp = mΔv gets you F = Δp/Δt

Evanish said:
I'm pretty sure you can derive (change of momentum)/(time) from some basic formulas.

F = ma
a = Δv/Δt
Δp = mΔv

F = ma and a = Δv/Δt gets you F = mΔv/Δt

F = mΔv/Δt and Δp = mΔv gets you F = Δp/Δt

Thank you for your help, but I think you misunderstood my question -- I probably should have made it clearer. My bad, sorry.

I get how you would derive force = (change in momentum)/(time), but I'm unsure of why "time" in this instance is the time it takes for the particle to travel to the other face and back instead of the time of collision or contact between the particle and the container wall.

Thank you!

eddywalrus said:
the time of collision or contact between the particle and the container wall

Already considered in the statement,
+mu - (-mu) = 2mu
for the particle interacting with the wall.

eddywalrus said:
time it takes for the particle to travel to the other face and back
As in the textbook,
time between collisions = distance /speed = 2x/u

The particle interacts with the wall only once every interval, and not continuously during the interval.
So we want to find a force, that if acting continuously, would give the same force on the wall as from the intermittent collisions of the particle with the wall.

256bits said:
Already considered in the statement,
+mu - (-mu) = 2mu
for the particle interacting with the wall.As in the textbook,
time between collisions = distance /speed = 2x/u

The particle interacts with the wall only once every interval, and not continuously during the interval.
So we want to find a force, that if acting continuously, would give the same force on the wall as from the intermittent collisions of the particle with the wall.

Thank you very much for your explanation -- I understand it now!

Related to How Is Time Factored Into the Derivation of the Ideal Gas Law?

1. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and the number of moles of a gas. It is often written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. This law is based on the assumptions that the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other.

2. How was the ideal gas law derived?

The ideal gas law was derived from the combination of three other gas laws: Boyle's law, Charles's law, and Avogadro's law. These laws describe the relationships between pressure and volume, volume and temperature, and volume and moles, respectively. By combining these laws, the ideal gas law was developed to describe the behavior of ideal gases.

3. What is the significance of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is significant because it provides a simple and accurate way to predict the behavior of gases under different conditions. It is widely used in chemistry and physics to solve problems related to gases, such as calculating the volume of a gas at a given pressure and temperature or determining the number of moles of a gas in a given volume.

4. Are there any limitations to the ideal gas law?

Yes, the ideal gas law has limitations. It is only applicable to ideal gases, which do not exist in the real world. Real gases have volume and interact with each other, which can affect their behavior. The ideal gas law also assumes that the temperature remains constant during the process, which is not always the case.

5. How can the ideal gas law be used in real-life situations?

The ideal gas law can be used in many real-life situations, such as in the design and operation of gas-powered engines, the production of industrial gases, and the behavior of gases in weather patterns. It is also used in everyday applications, such as calculating the amount of gas needed to fill a balloon or predicting the behavior of air in a scuba tank at different depths.