How is this hologram created and projected?

In summary, there is a video circulating of a hologram that has sparked confusion and curiosity. Some believe it uses an interference effect in free space, but others believe it is a combination of a conventional hologram and clever optics. The company behind the hologram has patents for parts of the imaging system and it is speculated that a spatial light modulator is used in the creation of the hologram.
Recently i stumbled upon this video and got me confused. Any one seen this before? Better yet.. can someone explain how can this hologram work?

Also on this site i`ve found this: "
"The system is involving two main aspects. One is computation, which receives 3D data sets and computes the hologram. And then after the computation of the hologram, the system has an electro-optical part that actually propagates this light into space and reconstructs the image in free air, allowing the user to go and interact with the image."

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They would have to be able to stop light partials in mid-air and keep the partials vibrating at the right frequency while using sensors to calculate the doctors movement and a program to understand the movements to make the image move in correspondence with the doctors movements, all at the same time, I honestly don't think we have the technology for that yet...

well I don't know if this is legitimate or not. There is a way of making light appear like that perhaps without stopping the light particles. What you do is use a series of lasers that output light at a certain phase and are barely visible or invisible to the naked eye (because the light's amplitude is to low) , then you have them intersect at certain points in free space causing constructive interference increasing the light's amplitude to the point that its visible, then you would need do this many times to make an image and then you need inferred scanners or something to track the doctor's touching it then you need to code for that. I agree with AKatherine I doubt the technology really is capable of suiting those demands but i could be wrong. Also mind you I would really like to see holograms soon that would be awesome. (here's a graph showing the constructive and destructive interference caused by light "waves" colliding with an identical phase relationship)
http://www.micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/interference/waveinteractions/wavesjavafigure1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The company gives some explanations of their system here: http://www.realviewimaging.com/?page_id=158

Last edited by a moderator:
3301 said:
Recently i stumbled upon this video and got me confused. Any one seen this before? Better yet.. can someone explain how can this hologram work?
I think there are two parts to this. I can't think how there can be any 'interference effect', occurring out in the free space / air, as the film implies. There must be a basically 'conventional' hologram, created somewhere at the back of the display and then a clever bit of optics, producing a real image in the position shown in the demo. Very clever, of course, and an excellent tool but it doesn't have to be what is sort of being implied. I suspect that the viewing angle would be fairly narrow, in the same way that the cheap 'floating pig' toy works. I guess there must be a large concave mirror in there. The advertising movie makes it look very Star Wars - as you'd expect. They used the word "digital" a lot - as if there would be any other way of doing it!
The clever bit has to be creating the hologram in the first place. Could be using ultrasound to create a surface wave pattern on a crystalline surface?

3301 said:

Clever- it seems to be a hologram combined with concave mirrors, so that a virtual image is created. Optically, it's the same as the 'floating coin illusion'.

sophiecentaur said:
<snip>
The clever bit has to be creating the hologram in the first place. Could be using ultrasound to create a surface wave pattern on a crystalline surface?

It's probably simpler than that- a spatial light modulator, most likely. It's a nice bit of optical design, to be sure.

Related to How is this hologram created and projected?

1. What exactly is a hologram?

A hologram is a three-dimensional image that is created using light diffraction. It is a photographic recording of a light field, which displays the image in a way that appears to be three-dimensional when viewed under proper lighting conditions.

2. How is a hologram created?

A hologram is created by using lasers to record an object from different angles and then projecting these images onto a photosensitive material. The resulting interference pattern creates a hologram that recreates the original object in three dimensions.

3. Why does a hologram appear to have depth?

A hologram appears to have depth because it is created using light diffraction, which allows the image to be viewed from different angles. This gives the illusion of depth and makes the image appear to be three-dimensional.

4. Can a hologram be touched or interacted with?

No, a hologram cannot be touched or interacted with as it is simply a visual representation of an object. However, advancements in technology have allowed for interactive holograms to be created, but they are not yet widely available.

5. What are some practical uses of holograms?

Holograms have a wide range of practical uses, including security features on credit cards and IDs, entertainment in the form of holographic performances, and medical imaging for more accurate diagnoses. They are also being researched for use in virtual and augmented reality applications.