How is this diagram of the structure of diamond correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses the structure of diamond and the confusion about the number of bonds on the surface compared to the interior. The expert clarifies that the diagram only shows a small part of the diamond and that the structure can be extended in every direction. They also mention that the surface of diamond can conduct electricity depending on the termination chemistry and that electrons need to be free to travel through the structure in order to conduct electricity. The conversation also touches on the concept of the conduction band, which is necessary for conductivity.
navneet9431
see this diagram of the structure of diamond given in my textbook-
pe4zYC4.jpg

I have read in my textbook that each carbon atom in a Diamond crystal is attached to four other carbon atoms by strong covalent bonds.But, in the diagram above I can see that some of the carbon atoms are not attached to 4 carbon atoms(see the red circle).
So, I want to know, Is this diagram of the structure of Diamond incorrect?
If not, then please explain to me why?
I will be thankful for any help!
Note: I am a high school student and English is my second language.

Attachments

• pe4zYC4.jpg
    pe4zYC4.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 2,836
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Clearly this is not an entire diamond. Inside the diamond, it is true that each atom has bonds to four neighbouring ones. This is impossible to depict in an image in a textbook and so they show you a small part of it. That there are atoms with only one bond in your picture does not mean that they would have only one bond in the diamond. The neighbours just are not in the picture. It is not like a depiction of a water molecule where you see the entire molecule - the pattern goes on and on, it is a crystal.

Note that no diamond is infinite - it ends somewhere, and for obvious reasons atoms on the surface can't have the same number of neighbors as atoms inside.

Borek said:
Note that no diamond is infinite - it ends somewhere, and for obvious reasons atoms on the surface can't have the same number of neighbors as atoms inside.
Thanks!
I also agree that no diamond is infinite.So, it must end somewhere, so atoms on the surface can't have the same number of neighbours as atoms inside.
But, I have a few doubts which contradict this thought.
If the atoms on the surface of diamond do not have the same number of neighbours as atoms inside, then it means that the carbon atoms on the surface of the diamond have some free electrons and this will make the diamond a good conductor of electricity.But, a Diamond is a BAD conductor of electricity. so, where is my explanation wrong?
Now,
pe4zYC4.jpg

see the carbon atom in the green circle. As you can see it is bonded to only 3 carbon atoms.Can you please locate or mark the fourth carbon atom in the diagram with which this carbon atom should be bonded?
I will be thankful for help!

Attachments

• pe4zYC4.jpg
    pe4zYC4.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,212
1. Just having electrons on the surface is not enough to conduct electricity.

2. In reality there are no free bonds on the surface - they are taken by hydrogen or oxygen, just the amount of these elements (compared with the amount of carbon in the bulk of the crystal) is negligible.

3. The 3-bond carbon you marked with a green circle is on the surface, if anything, the fourth bond would be sticking to the outside.

Actually there is no carbon that is strictly inside on this image (even those with four bonds are technically on the surface), however, the structure can be easily extended in every direction. Trying to draw more atoms would just make the picture more difficult to understand.

Likes navneet9431
Borek said:
1. Just having electrons on the surface is not enough to conduct electricity.

2. In reality there are no free bonds on the surface - they are taken by hydrogen or oxygen, just the amount of these elements (compared with the amount of carbon in the bulk of the crystal) is negligible.

3. The 3-bond carbon you marked with a green circle is on the surface, if anything, the fourth bond would be sticking to the outside.

Actually there is no carbon that is strictly inside on this image (even those with four bonds are technically on the surface), however, the structure can be easily extended in every direction. Trying to draw more atoms would just make the picture more difficult to understand.
Thank you so much!Now more than half of my confusion is clear. I have one last question.
You have just that having electrons on the surface is not enough to conduct electricity.
But,why electrons on the surface are not sufficient to conduct electricity?

Also,can you please provide me a link of image or video of the structure of diamond which shows covalent bonding of carbons atoms in the interior of diamond?

I will be thankful for help!

Conductivity is not just about free electrons, it is about electrons on the conduction band - to conduct they have to be free to travel through the structure, not free in terms of not being used by bonds.

It is pretty easy to extend the given structure in every direction, simply try do do that. Every carbon with four bonds looks exactly like the ones inside of the larger structure.

Borek said:
Conductivity is not just about free electrons, it is about electrons on the conduction band - to conduct they have to be free to travel through the structure, not free in terms of not being used by bonds.

It is pretty easy to extend the given structure in every direction, simply try do do that. Every carbon with four bonds looks exactly like the ones inside of the larger structure.
Till now,i have not been taught anything about "conduction band".Can you give an intuitive definition of this conduction band?

Also,if electrons on the surface of diamond are free then they will be able to move with the surface of the diamond and hence conduct electricity. But,you just said that electron should be able to pass **through** the diamond in order to conduct electricity. Why is it important for electrons to pass through the diamond in order to conduct electricity?

Thanks in advance!

navneet9431 said:
Till now,i have not been taught anything about "conduction band".Can you give an intuitive definition of this conduction band?

"Free to travel through the structure" is the best "intuitive" definition I can think of, without delving into details.

Also,if electrons on the surface of diamond are free then they will be able to move with the surface of the diamond and hence conduct electricity.

Not necessarily, depends on what you mean by "free". Electron can be "free" because it is not part of a bond, but it can be still "attached" to its original atom strong enough that it can't move away.

But,you just said that electron should be able to pass **through** the diamond in order to conduct electricity. Why is it important for electrons to pass through the diamond in order to conduct electricity?

Technically electrons traveling just on the surface could be able to conduct electricity, just their amount is very low, so the current is very low as well. In conductors amount of electrons in the bulk is orders of magnitude larger, which means the resistivity is much lower (or conductivity much higher).

Disclaimer: this is all very handwavy.

Likes navneet9431
Borek said:
"Free to travel through the structure" is the best "intuitive" definition I can think of, without delving into details.
Not necessarily, depends on what you mean by "free". Electron can be "free" because it is not part of a bond, but it can be still "attached" to its original atom strong enough that it can't move away.
Technically electrons traveling just on the surface could be able to conduct electricity, just their amount is very low, so the current is very low as well. In conductors amount of electrons in the bulk is orders of magnitude larger, which means the resistivity is much lower (or conductivity much higher).

Disclaimer: this is all very handwavy.
Thank you!
At,last my all doubts have been cleared.

Borek said:

There could be a dangling bond for diamond surface, if I remember correctly.

HAYAO said:
There could be a dangling bond for diamond surface, if I remember correctly.

This is chemistry, exceptions are everywhere :smile: and definitely not all surfaces are equal.

Likes navneet9431
Borek said:
This is chemistry, exceptions are everywhere :smile: and definitely not all surfaces are equal.
  • All surfaces are created equal.
  • Some surfaces are more equal than others.
(Sorry, I had to) :smile:

Orodruin said:
All surfaces are created equal.

Actually they are not, which is a reason why NaCl sometimes crystallizes in cubic, and sometimes in octahedral form.

(Yes, the reference is crystal clear.)

1. How is the structure of diamond represented in this diagram?

The structure of diamond is represented by a three-dimensional lattice of carbon atoms, where each atom is bonded to four neighboring atoms in a tetrahedral arrangement.

2. What makes this diagram of diamond's structure correct?

This diagram is correct because it accurately shows the arrangement of atoms in a diamond crystal, which is a repeating pattern of carbon atoms bonded together in a strong and rigid lattice structure.

3. How is the arrangement of atoms in diamond different from other materials?

The arrangement of atoms in diamond is unique because each carbon atom is bonded to four other carbon atoms in a tetrahedral shape, creating a very strong and stable structure. This is different from other materials where atoms may be bonded in different arrangements or with different types of atoms.

4. What properties of diamond can be explained by its structure?

The structure of diamond explains its exceptional hardness and strength, as well as its high thermal and electrical conductivity. The strong and rigid lattice structure of diamond makes it difficult for the atoms to move, resulting in its hardness, while the close packing of atoms allows for efficient transfer of heat and electricity.

5. How does the structure of diamond relate to its use in jewelry and industrial applications?

The unique structure of diamond makes it an ideal material for both jewelry and industrial use. Its hardness and durability make it a popular choice for jewelry, while its thermal and electrical conductivity make it useful in industrial applications such as cutting and polishing tools, electronics, and heat sinks.