How is the Sine Term Transformed in the Harmonic Motion Equation?

In summary: X.In summary, the differential equation for simple harmonic motion without damping can be solved to find x, but the generalized solution takes the form x = Acos(\omega*t + \delta) where A = \sqrt{c_1^2 + c_2^2} and delta represents the phase shift.
danielu13
I'm trying to work out the differential equation for simple harmonic motion without damping,
[itex]x''+\frac{k}{m}x = 0[/itex]

I can solve it to
[itex]x = c_1cos(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}) + c_2sin(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}})[/itex]

But the generalized solution is
[itex]x = Acos(\omega*t + \delta)[/itex]

where
[itex]A = \sqrt{c_1^2 + c_2^2}[/itex]

I can understand the change of variables, but I don't really understand what happens to the sine term. Can anyone help me with this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try expanding the cos(wt+d) using cos(A+B) rule.
(Btw, you left out the t's on the RHS of the cos-and-sine solution.)

Let c1 = A cos(D) and c2= -A sin(D)
Bring them back into x = c1 cos(K) + c2 sin(K) where K = sqrt(k/m)
cos(D)cos(K)-sin(D)sin(K) = cos (K+D)
x = A cos(K+D)
and note that c1²+c2² = A²cos²(D)+A²sin²(D) = A²
A = sqrt (c1²+c2²)

JJacquelin said:
Let c1 = A cos(D) and c2= -A sin(D)
Bring them back into x = c1 cos(K) + c2 sin(K) where K = sqrt(k/m)
cos(D)cos(K)-sin(D)sin(K) = cos (K+D)
x = A cos(K+D)
and note that c1²+c2² = A²cos²(D)+A²sin²(D) = A²
A = sqrt (c1²+c2²)
So the cos(D) and -sin(D) represent the phase shift, and that's where the delta term comes from in the generalized solution?

danielu13 said:
So the cos(D) and -sin(D) represent the phase shift, and that's where the delta term comes from in the generalized solution?
Yes.

delta = D = -arctan(c2/c1)

I was also trouble with that.But now I have an idea.
We know that mass-spring system or simple harmonic motion is one dimensional.
From our coordinate system Y is vertical and X is horizontal.And also we know that mass-spring can be on vertical or horizontal.That's look what we found from differential equation :
A = sin(wt+teta)

So we are working for mass-spring system on vertical.We can add 90 degress to teta for change the dimension.So we get cos.

Related to How is the Sine Term Transformed in the Harmonic Motion Equation?

What is the Harmonic Motion Equation?

The Harmonic Motion Equation is a mathematical formula that describes the motion of an object undergoing simple harmonic motion. It is represented as x = A*sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement of the object, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth around an equilibrium point in a straight line. This motion is characterized by a constant amplitude and a sinusoidal pattern.

What factors affect the Harmonic Motion Equation?

The Harmonic Motion Equation is affected by three main factors: amplitude, angular frequency, and phase angle. The amplitude determines the maximum displacement of the object, the angular frequency determines the speed of the object, and the phase angle determines the starting point of the motion.

How is the Harmonic Motion Equation used in real-life applications?

The Harmonic Motion Equation is used to model a wide range of real-life phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum, the vibration of a guitar string, and the oscillation of a spring. It is also used in engineering and physics to study and design structures that exhibit harmonic motion.

What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and forced harmonic motion?

The main difference between simple harmonic motion and forced harmonic motion is that the latter is driven by an external force, while the former occurs naturally without any external influence. In forced harmonic motion, the external force acts as a driving force and can cause changes in the amplitude and frequency of the motion.