How Is the Sellmeier Equation Derived from Complex Dielectric Constants?

• Thread starter lillemy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derive
In summary, the Sellmeier equation for a gas or glass with negligible absorption is derived by substituting for \omega and \omega_{p} in the equation (n+i\kappa)^{2}= 1 + \frac{\omega^{2}_{p}}{\omega^{2}_{0}-i\omega\gamma - \omega^{2}}. This results in 1+ \frac{\lambda^{2}_{vac}\lambda^{2}_{0,vac}\frac{Nq^{2}_{e}}{4\pi^{2}c^{2}\epsilon_{0}m_{e}}}{\lambda^{2}_{vac}-\lambda^{2}_{0,vac}}, where the extra term of \lambda
lillemy

Homework Statement

Derive the Sellmeier equation
[itex]n^{2} = 1 + \frac{A\lambda^{2}_{vac}}{\lambda^{2}_{vac}-\lambda^{2}_{0,vac}}[/itex]
from
[itex](n+i\kappa)^{2}= 1 + \frac{\omega^{2}_{p}}{\omega^{2}_{0}-
i\omega\gamma - \omega^{2}}[/itex]

for a gas or glass with negligible absorption (i.e. [itex]\gamma[/itex] ≈ 0, valid far
from resonance [itex]\omega_{0}[/itex], where [itex]\lambda_{0,vac}[/itex]
corresponds to frequency [itex]\omega_{0}[/itex] and A is a constant.

Homework Equations

[itex]\omega = \frac{2\pi c}{\lambda_{vac}}[/itex]

[itex]\omega^{2}_{p}= \frac{Nq^{2}_{e}}{\epsilon_{0}m_{e}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the absorption is negligible, [itex]\gamma = 0[/itex] we can drop the imaginary part , and I will substitute directly for [itex]\omega[/itex] and [itex]\omega_{p}[/itex] from the above equations. It gives this result:

[itex]1+ \frac{\lambda^{2}_{vac}\lambda^{2}_{0,vac}\frac{Nq^{2}_{e}}{4\pi^{2}c^{2}\epsilon_{0}m_{e}}}{\lambda^{2}_{vac}-\lambda^{2}_{0,vac}}[/itex]

i.e. everything is ok expect that i have on extra of [itex]\lambda^{2}_{0,vac}[/itex] in the numerator. What have I done wrong? Very thankful for all help:)

Physics news on Phys.org
I know the thread is 3 years old but any idea on this question? Have a similar problem, appreciate any help

lillemy said:
[itex]1+ \frac{\lambda^{2}_{vac}\lambda^{2}_{0,vac}\frac{Nq^{2}_{e}}{4\pi^{2}c^{2}\epsilon_{0}m_{e}}}{\lambda^{2}_{vac}-\lambda^{2}_{0,vac}}[/itex]

i.e. everything is ok expect that i have on extra of [itex]\lambda^{2}_{0,vac}[/itex] in the numerator. What have I done wrong? Very thankful for all help:)
Nothing is wrong. That "extra" [itex]\lambda^{2}_{0,vac}[/itex] is included into the constant A.

That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure since that term appeared elsewhere in the formula, thanks for your help!

The Sellmeier equation is derived from the classical electromagnetic wave equation, which relates the refractive index (n) to the complex dielectric constant (\epsilon). The equation is given as:

(n^{2}-\kappa^{2}) = 1 + \frac{\omega^{2}_{p}}{\omega^{2}-\omega^{2}_{0}+i\omega\gamma}

Where \omega_{p} is the plasma frequency, \omega_{0} is the natural frequency of the material, and \gamma is the damping constant.

To derive the Sellmeier equation, we start with the complex dielectric constant (\epsilon) given by:

\epsilon = \epsilon_{0}(1+\frac{\omega^{2}_{p}}{\omega^{2}-i\omega\gamma})

The refractive index (n) is related to \epsilon by the equation n = \sqrt{\epsilon_{r}} where \epsilon_{r} is the relative permittivity. Therefore, we can rewrite the above equation as:

n^{2}-1 = \frac{\epsilon_{0}}{\epsilon_{r}}\frac{\omega^{2}_{p}}{\omega^{2}-i\omega\gamma}

Next, we use the definition of refractive index \omega = \frac{2\pi c}{\lambda} to substitute for \omega. This gives:

n^{2}-1 = \frac{\epsilon_{0}}{\epsilon_{r}}\frac{4\pi^{2}c^{2}}{\lambda^{2}}\frac{Nq^{2}_{e}}{m_{e}}\frac{1}{\omega^{2}-i\omega\gamma}

where N is the number density of electrons, q_{e} is the charge of an electron, and m_{e} is the mass of an electron.

We can then simplify this equation by defining A = \frac{\epsilon_{0}}{\epsilon_{r}}\frac{4\pi^{2}c^{2}}{\lambda^{2}}\frac{Nq^{2}_{e}}{m_{e}}, which is a constant for a given material. This gives us the final form of the Sellmeier equation:

n^{2} = 1 + \frac{A}{\omega^{2}-i\omega\gamma}

To convert this equation to a form with wavelength (\lambda) instead of frequency, we

Related to How Is the Sellmeier Equation Derived from Complex Dielectric Constants?

1. What is the Sellmeier equation?

The Sellmeier equation is a mathematical formula that describes the refractive index of a material as a function of the wavelength of light. It is commonly used in optics and photonics to model the dispersion of light in different materials.

2. Who developed the Sellmeier equation?

The Sellmeier equation was first proposed by German physicist Wilhelm Sellmeier in 1871. He derived the equation based on the classical electromagnetic theory of light.

3. What is the significance of the Sellmeier equation?

The Sellmeier equation is important because it allows us to predict the refractive index of a material at any given wavelength, which is crucial for designing optical components such as lenses and prisms. It also helps us understand how light interacts with materials and how different wavelengths are affected differently.

4. What is the general form of the Sellmeier equation?

The general form of the Sellmeier equation is n² = A + B/(λ² - C) + D/(λ² - E), where n is the refractive index, λ is the wavelength of light, and A, B, C, D, and E are material-specific coefficients. These coefficients are determined experimentally for each material.

5. Is the Sellmeier equation accurate for all materials?

No, the Sellmeier equation is only accurate for materials that have a linear response to light, known as transparent materials. It is not accurate for opaque materials or those with highly nonlinear responses, such as metals or semiconductors.