How is the S^3 metric defined by a unit vector and coordinate changes?

In summary: Yes, I understand that. But you've got four different ##g_{00}## so I think you've not specified the metric correctly. Can you please explain the situation better?In summary, the conversation discusses the (I think FRW) metric in the coordinates y^{0}=t, y^{1}=\psi, y^{2}=\theta, y^{3}=\varphi. The metric is defined by four different expressions for g_{00} and a unit vector n that is used to calculate the metric components using the equation g_{ij} = - \frac{f^{2}(t)}{\alpha} \sum_{A=1
ChrisVer
Gold Member
We have the (I think FRW) metric in the coordinates
[tex] y^{0}=t,~~y^{1}=\psi,~~y^{2}=\theta,~~y^{3}=\varphi [/tex]

[tex] g_{00}=1,~~g_{00}= - \frac{f^{2}(t)}{\alpha} ,~~ g_{00}= - \frac{f^{2}(t)}{\alpha} \sin^{2}\psi ,~~g_{00}= - \frac{f^{2}(t)}{\alpha} \sin^{2}\psi sin^{2}\theta [/tex]

Suppose we have define a unit vector [itex]n \in \mathbb{R}^{4} [/itex] such that:

[tex] n= ( \cos\psi , \sin\psi \sin\theta\cos\varphi, \sin\psi \sin\theta \sin\varphi, \sin\psi \cos\theta ) [/tex]

So far I was able to show that (by doing the derivative calculations- is there any faster way one can work?)

[tex] g_{ij} = - \frac{f^{2}(t)}{\alpha} \sum_{A=1}^{4} \frac{\partial n^{A}}{∂y^{i}}\frac{\partial n^{A}}{\partial y^{j}} [/tex]

So I would like to interpret this result... I need some confirmation of how I interpreted it :)
Suppose you have the vector [itex]n[/itex]. The metric is then by the equation above, defined by how the [itex]n[/itex] vector changes [itex]\partial n[/itex] along the change of the i-th coordinate [itex]∂y^{i}[/itex]. As I wrote it, by the module of the velocity of [itex]n[/itex] wrt [itex]y^{i}[/itex]. Also tried to do a grid diagram which I think is correct for [itex]S^{2}[/itex] of coordinates [itex](\theta,\varphi)[/itex], just imagining the generalization of it with a 3rd coordinate ##\psi##.
Finally the metric is scaling by the flow of time (or [itex]y^{0}[/itex]-coord) so it's more like, as time passes, we get different images of a 3-sphere, each having its "grid" rescaled by some factor.

Is that correct? Do you think I'm missing something important?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisVer said:
[itex] n= ( cosψ , sinψ sinθ cosφ, sinψ sinθ sinφ, sinψ cosθ ) [/itex]

LaTeX hint: use \sin and \cos.

Likes 1 person
Better now? Well the form of it doesn't make the big difference since my maths were correct and the interpretation has to do with the final equation, but thanks :) that way other people might understand it better.

Another question... I did it for my own fun... because I said about that thing with "images" of sphere, and I wanted to see how , by the flow of "time", the metric would change.

Suppose I have at time [itex]y^{0}=t [/itex] that:

[itex] g_{ij}(t, y^{a})= - \frac{f^{2}(t)}{\alpha} |n_{,i} \cdot n_{,j}| [/itex]

And I let time flow, to [itex] t' = t + \delta t [/itex]

Then:

[itex] g_{ij}'=g_{ij}(t+\delta t, y^{a})= g_{ij}(t, y^{a}) + \delta t \frac{\partial g_{ij}(t, y^{a})}{\partial t}= g_{ij}(t, y^{a}) -\frac{2}{\alpha} \delta t f(t) \dot{f}(t) |n_{,i} \cdot n_{,j}| = g_{ij}(t, y^{a}) -\frac{2 \dot{f}(t)}{\alpha f(t)} \delta t f^{2}(t) |n_{,i} \cdot n_{,j}|[/itex]

Inserting the Hubble's parameter [itex] H= \frac{\dot{f}}{f}[/itex]

[itex] g_{ij}'=g_{ij}(t, y^{a}) + \delta t 2 H(t) g_{ij}(t, y^{a})[/itex]

Or

[itex]g_{ij}(t+\delta t, y^{a})=(1+ 2H(t) \delta t) g_{ij}(t, y^{a}) [/itex]

Could I write with that:

[itex] \delta_{t} g_{ij} = 2 H(t) \delta t g_{ij} [/itex]

Or equivalently:
[itex]g_{ij}(t', y^{a})= e^{2 H(t) (t'-t)} g_{ij} (t, y^{a}) [/itex]
?

Meaning that the Hubble's parameter is somewhat related to the generator of the translation of time for the spatial components of the metric?
However that's not true for the [itex]g_{00}=1[/itex] because it's constant.

ChrisVer said:
We have the (I think FRW) metric in the coordinates
[tex] y^{0}=t,~~y^{1}=\psi,~~y^{2}=\theta,~~y^{3}=\varphi [/tex]

[tex] g_{00}=1,~~g_{00}= - \frac{f^{2}(t)}{\alpha} ,~~ g_{00}= - \frac{f^{2}(t)}{\alpha} \sin^{2}\psi ,~~g_{00}= - \frac{f^{2}(t)}{\alpha} \sin^{2}\psi sin^{2}\theta [/tex]

Suppose we have define a unit vector [itex]n \in \mathbb{R}^{4} [/itex] such that:

[tex] n= ( \cos\psi , \sin\psi \sin\theta\cos\varphi, \sin\psi \sin\theta \sin\varphi, \sin\psi \cos\theta ) [/tex]

So far I was able to show that (by doing the derivative calculations- is there any faster way one can work?)

[tex] g_{ij} = - \frac{f^{2}(t)}{\alpha} \sum_{A=1}^{4} \frac{\partial n^{A}}{∂y^{i}}\frac{\partial n^{A}}{\partial y^{j}} [/tex]

So I would like to interpret this result... I need some confirmation of how I interpreted it :)
Suppose you have the vector [itex]n[/itex]. The metric is then by the equation above, defined by how the [itex]n[/itex] vector changes [itex]\partial n[/itex] along the change of the i-th coordinate [itex]∂y^{i}[/itex]. As I wrote it, by the module of the velocity of [itex]n[/itex] wrt [itex]y^{i}[/itex]. Also tried to do a grid diagram which I think is correct for [itex]S^{2}[/itex] of coordinates [itex](\theta,\varphi)[/itex], just imagining the generalization of it with a 3rd coordinate ##\psi##.
Finally the metric is scaling by the flow of time (or [itex]y^{0}[/itex]-coord) so it's more like, as time passes, we get different images of a 3-sphere, each having its "grid" rescaled by some factor.

Is that correct? Do you think I'm missing something important?

You posted four different ##g_{00}##, so I think you've not specified the metric correctly.

Also, when you use the Latin indices ##i,j## do they go from 1-3 or from 0-3?

latin indices= spatial indices= 1,2,3...

Related to How is the S^3 metric defined by a unit vector and coordinate changes?

1. What is the S^3 sphere metric-unit vector?

The S^3 sphere metric-unit vector is a mathematical concept used to measure distances and directions on a three-dimensional space known as the S^3 sphere. It is similar to the unit vector concept in Euclidean space, but with some differences due to the spherical geometry of the S^3 sphere.

2. How is the S^3 sphere metric-unit vector calculated?

The S^3 sphere metric-unit vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which takes into account the curvature of the S^3 sphere. It involves finding the square root of the sum of the squares of the three coordinates (x, y, z) of a point on the S^3 sphere.

3. What are the applications of the S^3 sphere metric-unit vector?

The S^3 sphere metric-unit vector has various applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to measure distances and directions in 3D space, which is essential for navigation systems, robotics, and simulating physical phenomena.

4. Can the S^3 sphere metric-unit vector be used in non-spherical spaces?

No, the S^3 sphere metric-unit vector is specific to the S^3 sphere and cannot be applied to non-spherical spaces. Other types of unit vectors, such as the tangent and normal vectors, are used to measure distances and directions in other geometric spaces.

5. How does the S^3 sphere metric-unit vector differ from the S^2 and S^1 unit vectors?

The S^3 sphere metric-unit vector is a three-dimensional vector, while the S^2 and S^1 unit vectors are two-dimensional and one-dimensional, respectively. This means that the S^3 sphere metric-unit vector takes into account three coordinates (x, y, z) instead of two or one, making it more complex to calculate and visualize.