How Is the Rocket's Acceleration Calculated After the Parachute Opens?

In summary, the acceleration of the rocket at a time of 5 seconds after the parachute opens is 20m/s/s, taking into consideration the retarding force of the parachute and the gravitational force acting on the rocket. The net acceleration is found by taking the vector sum of the upward and downward accelerations.
TyErd

Homework Statement

What is the acceleration of the rocket at a time of 5seconds after the parachute opens.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply thought the acceleration would be 9.8m/s/s

Attachments

• rocket.JPG
    rocket.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 403
Physics news on Phys.org
TyErd said:

Homework Statement

What is the acceleration of the rocket at a time of 5seconds after the parachute opens.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply thought the acceleration would be 9.8m/s/s
That would be the acceleration acting downward if there were no parachute. The retarding force R of the parachute acts upward, in the opposite direction of the gravitational force acting on the rocket.

You also have to take into consideration the resistance force on the parachute; that will affect the acceleration.

so the resistance force of the parachute is 1.8N. So I know its going to be F-1.8=mass(which I forgot to mention but its 0.2kg) * acceleration., But how do I calculate the upwards acceleration

F = ma, so a = F/m. What's the net acceleration, and in what direction?

would the net acceleration be 1.8/0.2?

No, that's the acceleration upward. The net acceleration would be the vector sum of the upward and downward accelerations.

ohh so a=(9.8-1.8)/0.2

Related to How Is the Rocket's Acceleration Calculated After the Parachute Opens?

1. What is rocket motion?

Rocket motion refers to the movement of a rocket through space or atmosphere, propelled by the expulsion of gases from its engine.

2. What factors affect rocket motion?

Some factors that affect rocket motion include the amount of thrust produced by the rocket's engine, the mass of the rocket, the air resistance or drag, and the force of gravity.

3. How does rocket motion differ from other types of motion?

Rocket motion differs from other types of motion because it involves the propulsion of a vehicle through an external force (exhaust gases) rather than relying on internal forces such as muscles or engines.

4. How is the trajectory of a rocket calculated?

The trajectory of a rocket is calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the initial velocity, acceleration, and external forces acting on the rocket.

5. What are some challenges in predicting and controlling rocket motion?

Some challenges in predicting and controlling rocket motion include unpredictable weather conditions, variations in fuel efficiency, and the complex interplay of various forces acting on the rocket.