How Is the Magnetic Field Calculated to Levitate a Wire Carrying Current?

In summary, the problem involves a wire with a mass of 0.0050 kg and length of 0.600 m, carrying an electrical current of 0.800 A. The direction and magnitude of the magnetic field needed to counteract the wire's weight is South and 0.102 T, respectively. The equation used to calculate this force is F = I (L x B), where 'F' is force, 'I' is current, 'L' is length, and 'B' is magnetic field. The inductance of the wire is not directly related to this calculation and requires different equations.
roam

Homework Statement

A straight piece of wire of mass 0.0050 kg and length 0.600 m lies horizontally and carries an electrical current of I = 0.800 A in the direction E to W . What is the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field required to produce an upward force on the wire that exactly cancels its weight?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The direction is South and the magnitude of the magnetic field is 0.102 T. How did they calculate this? What principles and formulas are required here? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay. Using this equation for force on a segment of current-carrying wire in a uniform magnetic fields F=ILxB, how would you relate this to the mass of the wire?

And how can I work out the inductance L? All the equations I know for L are for a solenoid...

You may have figured this already, but F = I (L x B) where F=ma & 'L' is length (not inductance)

Related to How Is the Magnetic Field Calculated to Levitate a Wire Carrying Current?

1. What is the magnitude of magnetic field?

The magnitude of magnetic field refers to the strength or intensity of the magnetic field at a specific point in space. It is measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G).

2. How is the magnitude of magnetic field calculated?

The magnitude of magnetic field can be calculated using the equation B = μ0 * (I / 2π * r), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of magnetic field?

The magnitude of magnetic field is affected by the strength and direction of the current, the distance from the current, and the permeability of the material the current is passing through. It is also affected by any magnetic materials nearby that may alter the field.

4. Why is the magnitude of magnetic field important?

The magnitude of magnetic field is important because it determines the force experienced by a charged particle moving through the field. It is also crucial in many technological applications such as motors, generators, and medical imaging devices.

5. How can the magnitude of magnetic field be measured?

The magnitude of magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer, which uses a magnetic compass or a Hall effect sensor to detect and measure the strength of the magnetic field. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the current and distance from the source.