How Is the Initial Speed of a Projectile Calculated Using a Ballistic Pendulum?

In summary, the ball went from having a speed of 1.5 m/s when it was fired to 10.1 m/s after reaching the maximum angle from the vertical.
yesiammanu

Homework Statement

A ballistic pendulum is a common device that is designed to measure the speed of small projectiles. As shown in the sketch on the right, it is composed of an initially stationary metal "cage" which traps the projectile and is suspended vertically by a very light weight rod attached to a low friction pivot. The bottom of the cage is usually equipped with a "pawl" (not shown) which prevents it from slipping backward after reaching it's maximum height. In a particular experiment, the projectile is a steel ball with a mass of 50.0 grams, the cage assembly has a mass of 250. grams, and the length L from the pivot to the center of mass of the entrapped ball + cage = 25.0 cm. After firing, the ball + cage reach a maximum angle from the vertical of 35.0. What was the initial speed 0o of the ball?
mrZTy.png

Homework Equations

Conservation of Angular Momentum
L = r x p
L = Iw
I = MR2 for a thin cylindrical shell
w = v/r
1/2 Iw2 = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

L of ball = r x p = .25m * .05kg * v0 = .0125m * kg v0
L of ballistic pendulum + ball = Iw = (.3kg)(.25m)2w = .01875kg * m2w
.0125m * kg v0 = .01875kg * m2w

v0 = 1.5m * w
v0/1.5m = w

1/2 * MR2 * v02/2.25m2 = (.300kg)(9.8 m/s2)(.25m sin35)
1/2 * (.300kg)(.0625 m2)* v02/2.25m2 = .42 kg* m2/s2
.0041 kg v02 = .42 kg* m2/s2
v02 = 102.43 m2/s2
v0 = 10.1 m/s

The correct answer is 5.65, so I'm not sure where I messed up.

Physics news on Phys.org
yesiammanu said:
1/2 * MR2 * v02/2.25m2 = (.300kg)(9.8 m/s2)(.25m sin35)

You applied the conservation of energy here, I believe? So, is the RHS of the equation really the potential energy gained?

Hint: Did the system go up by [tex]Rsin\theta?[/tex]

I would think it did, since the height changed and it ends up with 0 speed at 35 degrees

Did I need to factor in kinetic energy since it changes the x position? I thought it would be covered by angular

yesiammanu said:
I would think it did, since the height changed and it ends up with 0 speed at 35 degrees

Umm, no.

Is the sin projection of the rod really the height gained? (No!) Also, check the cos projection...Is that the height either? What manipulation will give you the height gained by the system?

Hmmm.. I'm really confused

I tried to make a construction but I got even more confused

JgRDP.png

I thought that would just be Lsin35, since if sin was 90 degrees, you would be at exactly L

Please check attached image. That pink line is not equal to L, nor is the green angle equal to 350.

See the other attachment. What is the length of the blue line in terms of the given data?

Attachments

• JgRDP.png
    JgRDP.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 591
  • mrZTy.png
    mrZTy.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 590
hmmm...
cos theta = adj/hyp
hyp cos theta = adj
L cos 35 = adj for blue line

And then the red line would be L - Lcos35? so .25m - .25mcos35 = .045m?

yesiammanu said:
hmmm...
cos theta = adj/hyp
hyp cos theta = adj
L cos 35 = adj for blue line

And then the red line would be L - Lcos35? so .25m - .25mcos35 = .045m?

You got it! :smile:

Replaced that in my equation and got 5.68, which is probably close enough. Thanks for help!

Related to How Is the Initial Speed of a Projectile Calculated Using a Ballistic Pendulum?

1. What is a ballistic pendulum?

A ballistic pendulum is a physics device used to measure the velocity of a projectile by analyzing the motion of a pendulum after being struck by the projectile. It consists of a pendulum with a mass hanging from a string and a target to stop the projectile.

2. How does a ballistic pendulum work?

The projectile is fired at the target, and upon impact, it transfers its momentum to the pendulum. This causes the pendulum to swing upwards, and its maximum height can be used to calculate the velocity of the projectile using principles of conservation of energy and momentum.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of a ballistic pendulum experiment?

The accuracy of a ballistic pendulum experiment can be affected by factors such as air resistance, friction, and the angle at which the projectile is fired. Other factors such as the mass and size of the pendulum, as well as the precision of the measuring equipment, can also impact the accuracy of the results.

4. How is the velocity of the projectile calculated from a ballistic pendulum experiment?

The velocity of the projectile can be calculated using the equation v = (m1 + m2) * sqrt(2gh) / m2, where m1 is the mass of the projectile, m2 is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the maximum height of the pendulum.

5. What are some real-world applications of the ballistic pendulum?

The ballistic pendulum has been used in various fields, including forensic science, ballistics, and sports. In forensic science, it is used to determine the velocity of a bullet to aid in crime scene investigations. In ballistics, it is used to test the velocity and energy of firearms and ammunition. In sports such as archery and shooting, it is used to measure the speed and precision of projectiles.