How Is the Initial Height h0 Calculated in a Spring Compression Problem?

In summary: Kinetic energy is the energy that is associated with motion, while elastic potential energy is the energy that a body has due to its position in space. This potential energy is what keeps the block from moving after it contacts the spring.
FallingMan

Homework Statement

A 700 g block is released from rest at height h0 above a ver- tical spring with spring constant k = 400 N/m and negligible mass. The block sticks to the spring and momentarily stops after com- pressing the spring 19.0 cm. What is the value of h0?

Homework Equations

W = 1/2kx^2 where W is the work, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance spring is compressed.

Potential Energy = mgh0 where h0 is the initial height, g is gravitational acceleration, and m is mass.

U0 + KE0 = Uf + KEf , expressing that the kinetic and potential energy before must equal the kinetic and potential energy after.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solution for this problem, but I don't really understand it.

At height h0 before release, the block has potential energy and no kinetic energy:
U0 = mgh0

At the contact point between block and spring, the block has some kinetic energy and some potential energy, which will be equal to mgh0.

mgh0 = KE + U

U = mgx, where x is the remaining distance to compress the spring
KE = 1/2mv^2, where v is the velocity of the block upon contact.

I know KE is normally expressed as 1/2mv^2, but the solution shows it as 1/2kx^2.

They make mgh0 = 1/2kx^2 - mgx

This then allows them to calculate the h0. However, I'm confused at how they arrived at that equation (specific questions below):

Why is mgx negative? Why is 1/2kx^2 expressed as the Kinetic energy? I thought 1/2kx^2 is the work done by a spring, not the kinetic energy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1/2kx^2 is not kinetic energy but it is Elastic Potential Energy. Also it has no kinetic energy when upon contact, as you know kinetic energy = 1/2mv^s and when the block contacts the spring and presses it down the velocity = 0 making kinetic energy = 0, so you know that Ei = Ef, i = initial, f = final, and Ei = Ki + Ui, and Ef = Kf + Uf.

Last edited:
Panphobia said:
Also it has no kinetic energy when upon contact
No, it will still have KE on contact. KE only becomes 0 when the spring is fully compressed.
FallingMan said:
They make mgh0 = 1/2kx^2 - mgx
When the spring is fully compressed, the block has descended h0 + x and is again stationary. So ##\frac 12 k x^2 = mg(h_0+x)##

FallingMan said:
The block sticks to the spring and momentarily stops after com- pressing the spring 19.0 cm
That is what I meant by it contacts, I am sorry if I was misunderstood.

Panphobia and Haruspex,

Thank you for your clear explanation. I was looking at the block as it was contacting the spring, which was overcomplicating my problem. It seems it is much simpler to look at the problem when the kinetic energy is zero in both scenarios, namely at the very top and at the very bottom.

I guess I was also confusing 1/2kx^2 for the kinetic energy when it is the elastic potential energy.

Related to How Is the Initial Height h0 Calculated in a Spring Compression Problem?

1. What is a block released above a spring?

A block released above a spring is a physics experiment in which a mass (the block) is released from a certain height and falls onto a spring, causing it to compress.

2. How does a spring behave when a block is released above it?

When a block is released above a spring, the spring will compress due to the force of the block's weight acting on it. The amount of compression will depend on the mass of the block and the spring's stiffness.

3. What is the purpose of conducting a block released above a spring experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to observe and analyze the relationship between the mass of the block, the compression of the spring, and the gravitational force acting on the block. It can also be used to calculate the spring constant of the spring.

4. How is the energy of the system conserved in a block released above a spring experiment?

In this experiment, the potential energy of the block at the initial height is converted into kinetic energy as the block falls, and then into elastic potential energy as the spring compresses. The total energy of the system (block + spring) remains constant.

5. What factors can affect the outcome of a block released above a spring experiment?

The outcome of the experiment can be affected by factors such as the mass of the block, the stiffness of the spring, the initial height from which the block is released, and any external forces acting on the system such as air resistance or friction.