How Is the Impulse Calculated to Sustain a Grandfather Clock's Pendulum?

• Thread starter fluxions
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clock
In summary, the impulse needed to sustain the motion of a pendulum of length L and mass m, with an amplitude of swing θ0 and quality factor Q is I = (1 - \sqrt{1 - \theta_0 /Q}) \sqrt{2m^2gL(1 - cos\theta_0)} + l.
fluxions

Homework Statement

The pendulum of a grandfather's clock activates an escapement mechanism every time is passes through the vertical. The escapement is under tension (provided by a hanging weight) and gives the pendulum a small impulse distance l from the pivot. The energy transferred by the impulse compensates for the energy dissipated by friction, so that the pendulum swings with a constant amplitude.

What is the impulse needed to sustain the motion of a pendulum of length L and mass m, with an amplitude of swing [tex]\theta_0[/tex] and quality factor Q?

Homework Equations

Q = (energy stored in oscillator)/(energy lost per radian)

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose the oscillator starts with energy E and momentum
[tex] p_{top} = \sqrt{2mE} [/tex]
at the top of its swing. The energy lost per quarter period is then
[tex] E \theta_0 / Q [/tex],
thus the energy of the oscillator at the bottom of its first swing is
[tex] E - E \theta_0 / Q = E(1 - \theta_0 / Q) [/tex],
and the momentum at the bottom of the first swing is
[tex] p_{bottom} = \sqrt{2 m E(1 - \theta_0 / Q)} [/tex].
In order for the pendulum to maintain constant amplitude, the impulse I must satisfy:
[tex] p_{bottom} + I = p_{top} \Rightarrow I = \sqrt{2mE} - \sqrt{2 m E(1 - \theta_0 / Q)} = \sqrt{2mE}(1 - \sqrt{1 - \theta_0 / Q}) [/tex].
Now the energy of the oscillator is
[tex] E = mgL(1-cos\theta_0) [/tex],
and therefore the desired impulse is
[tex] I = (1 - \sqrt{1 - \theta_0 /Q}) \sqrt{2m^2gL(1 - cos\theta_0)} [/tex].

How's this look? I'm missing the factor l in my solution, which makes me think its wrong. What say you?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution looks good, but you forgot to include the factor l. The impulse needed to sustain the motion of a pendulum of length L and mass m, with an amplitude of swing θ0 and quality factor Q is I = (1 - \sqrt{1 - \theta_0 /Q}) \sqrt{2m^2gL(1 - cos\theta_0)} + l .

Your solution looks good overall, but you are correct in noticing that the factor l is missing. The impulse needed to sustain the motion of the pendulum also depends on the length of the pendulum, as it affects the amount of energy transferred by the escapement. So the final equation for the impulse should be:

I = l(1 - √(1 - θ0/Q)) √(2m^2gL(1 - cosθ0))

This accounts for the effect of the pendulum's length on the impulse needed to maintain constant amplitude. Great job on the solution!

Related to How Is the Impulse Calculated to Sustain a Grandfather Clock's Pendulum?

1. What is a grandfather clock problem?

A grandfather clock problem is a mathematical puzzle that involves solving for the time displayed on a grandfather clock given certain conditions and constraints.

2. How do you solve a grandfather clock problem?

To solve a grandfather clock problem, you must first understand the rules and conditions given in the problem. Then, you can use mathematical equations and logic to find the solution.

3. What are the common rules and constraints in a grandfather clock problem?

The common rules and constraints in a grandfather clock problem include the number of chimes the clock makes at certain intervals, the length of the pendulum, and the length of the hour and minute hands.

4. Are there any tricks or shortcuts to solving a grandfather clock problem?

There are no specific tricks or shortcuts to solving a grandfather clock problem. However, having a good understanding of basic mathematical concepts such as proportions and fractions can help you solve the problem more efficiently.

5. Can a grandfather clock problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, a grandfather clock problem can have multiple solutions. This can happen when there are multiple combinations of chimes, pendulum length, and hand lengths that can result in the same time being displayed on the clock.