How Is the Force Calculated for Two Masses on a 30 Degree Incline?

In summary, two masses, a 200 kg and a 150 kg, are being pulled up a 30 degree incline by a force F parallel to the incline. The velocity is constant and up the incline. The force is applied to the 200 kg mass and a string connects it to the 150 kg mass. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.2. To solve the problem, we can use the equations Fx = mgcos(theta), Fy = mgsin(theta), and F = uFn, where u is the friction coefficient and Fn is the normal force. The mass of both masses combined is 350 kg. The velocity is not needed to solve the problem, it is only given to
lpcampbe
Two masses are being pulled up a 30 degree incline by a force F parallel to the incline. The velocity is constant and up the incline. The force is applied to a 200 kg mass and a string connects the 200 kg mass to a 150 kg mass. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.2. The force F = ?

So I drew a free body diagram, and it has F parallel to the inclined plane (Fx) and the normal force = Fy. There is mg, which is pointed directly down. The friction is pointed in the -Fx direction. I know F=uFn, I also know that Fx = mgcos(theta) and Fy = mgsin(theta). Do I include the 2nd mass in my calculations? I'm assuming I do, in which case the mass is 350 kg. If the velocity is constant, acceleration = 0. Do I need to find the velocity to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you need to know the velocity. It is just there to justify using the kinetic friction coefficient for both masses.

That's what I thought, but I have no idea how to do this problem. I used the Fx equation I listed above but it doesn't include the friction coefficient.

draw a *FBD*

[tex] F_{y}=mg\times cos \phi [/tex]

[tex] F_{x}=F_{A}-mg\times sin \phi + F_{f} [/tex]

and [tex] F_{f}=\mu \times F_{N} = \mu \times mg\times cos \phi [/tex]

therefore

[tex] F_{A}=mgsin\phi + \mu \times mg\times cos \phi [/tex]

Thanks, Bright Wang. That helped a lot. The Fa you used in that equation, is that the parallel force?

applied force

Related to How Is the Force Calculated for Two Masses on a 30 Degree Incline?

What is a two masses on inclined plane experiment?

A two masses on inclined plane experiment is a physics experiment that involves two masses (objects with a certain amount of matter) placed on an inclined plane (a flat surface that is at an angle). The purpose of this experiment is to study the effects of gravity and friction on objects on an inclined plane.

What are the variables in a two masses on inclined plane experiment?

The variables in a two masses on inclined plane experiment are the angle of the inclined plane, the masses of the objects, and the force of gravity. These variables can be changed to observe how they affect the motion and behavior of the objects on the inclined plane.

How do you calculate the acceleration of the objects in a two masses on inclined plane experiment?

The acceleration of the objects can be calculated using the formula a = (m1-m2)gsinθ / (m1+m2+msin^2θ), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the inclined plane.

What is the significance of friction in a two masses on inclined plane experiment?

Friction plays a significant role in a two masses on inclined plane experiment as it affects the motion and behavior of the objects on the inclined plane. Friction is the force that opposes the motion of the objects and it increases with the angle of the inclined plane. This can be observed by comparing the results of the experiment at different angles of the inclined plane.

What are the applications of a two masses on inclined plane experiment?

A two masses on inclined plane experiment has various applications in the field of physics, engineering, and mechanics. It can be used to study the principles of motion, the effects of gravity and friction, and to calculate the acceleration and force of objects on an inclined plane. It is also used in designing and testing machines and structures that involve inclined planes.