How is the Earth's magnetic field generated and maintained?

• Thread starter channel1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, many celestial bodies have magnetic fields, including the Sun with its plasma interior and the Earth with its iron core. Metals can be magnetized due to their electron spin orientations, but nonmetals such as hydrogen plasma are labeled as not having magnetic properties. The origin of the Earth's magnetic field is not fully understood, but it is thought to be generated by the dynamo effect, which involves the coupling of convective effects and rotation in the iron and nickel core. However, the details of this mechanism are still not fully known.
channel1
Do any celestial bodies not have magnetic fields? Why?

I'm having a difficult time finding good resources for dynamo theory a question about that...
So first what I know:
1 - The Sun has a nonmetal hydrogen/helium plasma interior which is generating a magnetic field
2 - the Earth has a liquid iron core with a magnetic field
3 - metals can be magnetized because their electron spin orientations result in the atom having an electric current inducing a magnetic field, and nonmetals are labeled as not having magnetic properties
Q - If both metals and nonmetals (e.g. hydrogen plasma) can be magnetized then why are nonmetals categorized as not being able to be magnetized (according to the periodic table). Clearly I'm missing something in there because that's not consistent.

Physics news on Phys.org
Many celestial bodies have magnetic fields. It is not always easy to determine if they do, but when there is evidence there is a magnetic field we may rely on our imperfect models of our Earth's magnetic field for tenative explanations.
As for your Q., sorry, I've no idea of how to answer that.

“The origin of the Earth's magnetic field is not completely understood, but is thought to be associated with electrical currents produced by the coupling of convective effects and rotation in the spinning liquid metallic outer core of iron and nickel. This mechanism is termed the dynamo effect.”
http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/earth/magnetic.html

“Although the details of the dynamo effect are not known in detail, the rotation of the Earth plays a part in generating the currents which are presumed to be the source of the magnetic field.”
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magearth.html

Simulation of the earth’s mantle with a supercomputer:
“The geomagnetic field is generated deep inside the Earth. Within the molten, electrically conducting iron core of the Earth, i.e. at a depth of approximately 3000 to 5000 kilometers, a magnetohydrodynamic dynamo maintains the field.“
http://www.gauss-centre.eu/earth/magnetic_field

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a force that objects with magnetic fields exert on each other. It is caused by the motion of electric charges within the object.

2. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field around them, which can attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials. This is due to the alignment of the magnetic domains within the magnet.

3. What are the properties of magnets?

Magnets have two poles, north and south, and like poles repel each other while opposite poles attract. Magnets also have the ability to attract certain metals, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt.

4. How can I demagnetize a magnet?

Magnets can be demagnetized by heating them to a high temperature, using an alternating magnetic field, or by dropping or hitting them. These methods disrupt the alignment of magnetic domains within the magnet, causing it to lose its magnetic properties.

5. What are some practical applications of magnetism?

Magnetism has many practical applications, including in electric motors, generators, speakers, and hard drives. It is also used in medical imaging, such as MRI machines, and in compasses for navigation.