How Is the Divergence Theorem Applied to Derive Vector Field Identities?

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the divergence theorem to a vector field given by \mathbf{G} = \mathbf{c \times F}, where \mathbf{c} is an arbitrary constant vector. The process involves simplifying the Divergence theorem using the fact that \mathbf{c} is a constant and then rearranging the expression to get \mathbf{c} outside of both integrals. The result is a general expression that can be used for any special case, with the final step being the application of the divergence theorem to the vector field.
TheCanadian
In the image attached to this post, there is an equation on the top line and one on the bottom line. In the proof this image was taken from, they say this is a consequence of divergence theorem but I'm not quite understanding how it is. If anyone could explicitly explain the process to go from the top equation to the bottom, that would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 8.58.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 8.58.03 PM.png
    2 KB · Views: 615
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a vector field
[tex]
\mathbf{G} = \mathbf{c \times F}
[/tex]
where $$ \mathbf{c} $$ is an arbitrary constant vector. Apply the divergence theorem to $$\mathbf{G}$$ and I think you can reconstruct the result.

jason

jasonRF said:
Consider a vector field
[tex]
\mathbf{G} = \mathbf{c \times F}
[/tex]
where $$ \mathbf{c} $$ is an arbitrary constant vector. Apply the divergence theorem to $$\mathbf{G}$$ and I think you can reconstruct the result.

jason

To clarify, would ##\mathbf{G}## replace the entire integrand in the top line of my image (including the curl) since that itself is a vector? I can see the general line of reasoning now, but how is it deduced that ##\nabla ' \times \mathbf {\frac{F(r')}{\big|{r-r'}\big|} } = \mathbf{G} = \mathbf{\hat{n}}' \times \mathbf {\frac{F(r')}{\big|{r-r'}\big|} }##? The curl of this vector should definitely be normal, to itself and I think I'm missing something fundamental here, but why is it necessarily normal to the surface, too?

Last edited:
I don't think my post was clear enough, so let me start over. Please ignore my previous post.

I am attempting to show you how to derive the general expression, for which you can insert you special case. Define a vector field [itex] \mathbf{P(r) = c \times Q(r) }[/itex]. Now write down the Divergence theorem
$$ \int \int \mathbf{P(r^\prime) \cdot \hat{n}^\prime} dS^\prime = \int \int \int \mathbf{\nabla^\prime \cdot P(r^\prime) dV^\prime } $$
You now need to simplify this. You should use the fact that [itex]\mathbf{c}[/itex] is a constant so that [itex]\mathbf{\nabla \times c=0}[/itex]
in order to simplify the expression. Then use standard vector algebra to arrange to get the [itex]\mathbf{c}[/itex] outside of both integrals. In the end you should find,
[tex]
\mathbf{c \cdot} \left[ \int \int \mathbf{Q(r^\prime) \times \hat{n}^\prime} dS^\prime + \int \int \int \mathbf{\nabla^\prime \times Q(r^\prime) }dV^\prime \right] = 0.
[/tex]
Since [itex]\mathbf{c}[/itex] is arbitrary we must have,
[tex]
\int \int \mathbf{\hat{n}^\prime \times Q(r^\prime)} dS^\prime = \int \int \int \mathbf{\nabla^\prime \times Q(r^\prime) }dV^\prime.
[/tex]
Does that make sense?

Jason

jasonRF said:
I don't think my post was clear enough, so let me start over. Please ignore my previous post.

I am attempting to show you how to derive the general expression, for which you can insert you special case. Define a vector field [itex] \mathbf{P(r) = c \times Q(r) }[/itex]. Now write down the Divergence theorem
$$ \int \int \mathbf{P(r^\prime) \cdot \hat{n}^\prime} dS^\prime = \int \int \int \mathbf{\nabla^\prime \cdot P(r^\prime) dV^\prime } $$
You now need to simplify this. You should use the fact that [itex]\mathbf{c}[/itex] is a constant so that [itex]\mathbf{\nabla \times c=0}[/itex]
in order to simplify the expression. Then use standard vector algebra to arrange to get the [itex]\mathbf{c}[/itex] outside of both integrals. In the end you should find,
[tex]
\mathbf{c \cdot} \left[ \int \int \mathbf{Q(r^\prime) \times \hat{n}^\prime} dS^\prime + \int \int \int \mathbf{\nabla^\prime \times Q(r^\prime) }dV^\prime \right] = 0.
[/tex]
Since [itex]\mathbf{c}[/itex] is arbitrary we must have,
[tex]
\int \int \mathbf{\hat{n}^\prime \times Q(r^\prime)} dS^\prime = \int \int \int \mathbf{\nabla^\prime \times Q(r^\prime) }dV^\prime.
[/tex]
Does that make sense?

Jason

Thank you! That makes sense. :)

Related to How Is the Divergence Theorem Applied to Derive Vector Field Identities?

What is a triple integral with a curl?

A triple integral with a curl is a mathematical operation that combines the concepts of a triple integral and a curl. It allows for the calculation of the total circulation of a vector field over a three-dimensional region.

How is a triple integral with a curl calculated?

To calculate a triple integral with a curl, the region of integration is divided into small cubes, and the curl of the vector field is evaluated at each cube. The results are then summed up to find the total circulation over the region.

What is the significance of a triple integral with a curl in science?

A triple integral with a curl is essential in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and fluid dynamics. It allows for the analysis of complex vector fields and helps in understanding the behavior of fluids and other physical systems.

What are some real-world applications of a triple integral with a curl?

A triple integral with a curl is used in many real-world applications, including weather forecasting, fluid flow analysis in pipes and channels, and the study of electromagnetic fields. It is also used in the design of aircraft and other vehicles to optimize their aerodynamics.

Are there any limitations or challenges when using a triple integral with a curl?

One of the main challenges of using a triple integral with a curl is that it can be computationally expensive, especially for complex vector fields and large regions of integration. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can be affected by the choice of the division of the region into cubes.