How Is the Center of Mass Calculated for a Solid Cone?

In summary, the textbook "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor discusses the concept of integration in example 3.2 on page 89. It explains that for any given z, the integral over x and y runs over a circle of radius r = Rz / h, giving a factor of πR2z2 / h2. The area of each "disk" stacked on top of another to form the cone is represented by πR2z2 / h2. The limits of integration for dx and dy are 0 to R and 0 to 2π, respectively. This concept is further explained through the example of finding the area of a cone at height h.
Carnivroar
I am using the textbook called Classical Mechanics by John R. Taylor.

Z = 1/M ∫ ρ z dV = ρ/M ∫ z dx dy dz

On page 89, example 3.2, it says:

"For any given z, the integral over x and y runs over a circle of radius r = Rz / h, giving a factor of πr2 = πR2z2 / h2."

I wish the book would show the steps. Can someone please help me understand this? I want to know what the limits of integration for dx and dy are.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I need to relearn the whole concept of integration again... let me give this a try.

At height h the radius of the cone is Rz / h. That is the radius of each "disk" stacked on top of another to form the cone.

The area of that disk with height dz is πR2z2 / h2 ... the z2 stays inside the integral and we get ∫ z3 dz...

But I want to know what the limits for dx and dy were.

Okay I figured it out

dx dy => r dr dθ

Limits for dr is 0 up to R... dθ is 0 to 2π

Related to How Is the Center of Mass Calculated for a Solid Cone?

What is the center of mass of a solid cone?

The center of mass of a solid cone is the point at which the entire mass of the cone is considered to be concentrated. It is the average location of the mass of the cone.

How do you calculate the center of mass of a solid cone?

To calculate the center of mass of a solid cone, you need to know the height, radius, and density of the cone. The formula for the center of mass is (1/4)h, where h is the height of the cone.

Why is the center of mass of a solid cone important in physics?

The center of mass of a solid cone is important in physics because it is the point around which the cone will rotate and maintain its orientation. It is also used in calculations involving rotational motion and stability.

Does the center of mass of a solid cone change if the density is not uniform?

Yes, the center of mass of a solid cone will change if the density is not uniform. In this case, the center of mass will shift towards the denser parts of the cone.

Can the center of mass of a solid cone be outside the object?

No, the center of mass of a solid cone will always be inside the object. This is because the center of mass is defined as the average location of the mass of the object, and all parts of the object contribute to its mass.