How Is the Center of Mass Calculated for a Plate with a Circular Hole?

In summary, the problem involves a thin rectangular plate with a circular hole, and the task is to calculate the mass of the plate. Using equations and calculations, the x and y coordinates of the center of mass are found to be 0.194m and 0.124m, respectively. However, when using the Pythagorean theorem to find the distance from the origin to the center of mass, the answer obtained was incorrect. After further review, the mistake was identified and the correct answer was found to be 0.230m.
djgh

Homework Statement

A thin rectangular plate of uniform areal density σ = 3.06 kg/m2 has length of 37.0 cm and width of 25.0 cm. The lower left hand corner is located at the origin, (x,y)= (0,0) and the length is along the x-axis.

There is a circular hole of radius 6.50 cm with center at (x,y) = (12.50,10.50) cm in the plate. Calculate the mass of plate.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to:

Calculate the distance of the plate's CM from the origin.

I've calculated the x-coordinate of the center of mass with the equation:

x= [ ((L/2)*(l*w)) - ((2r)*pi*r^2) ] / [ (l*w) - (pi*r^2) ]

basically x= (x-component center of mass of rectangle)*area - (center of mass of circle)*area divided by total area with L = 0.37m (length of rectangular plate), l*w= area of plate, r= 0.65m, radius of circle cut out of plate. This comes out to be 0.194m and I know is correct.

However, I use the same equation, but replacing L with H, the height of the rectangle or 0.25m to find the y component, which I've calculated to be 0.124m. Then when I find that I used Pythagorean theorem or sqrt(x^2 + y^2) to find distance from origin to center of mass but I get a wrong answer, or answer that is supposedly wrong, which I calculate to be 0.230m. I think I'm doing it correctly, but supposedly I'm wrong, any ideas?

EDIT: SOLVED

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The method looks good. I got .195 for the x and .0555 for the y when I ran it through.

nevermind, figured out what was wrong

Related to How Is the Center of Mass Calculated for a Plate with a Circular Hole?

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in an object or system where its mass is considered to be concentrated. This point is used to calculate the overall motion and behavior of the object or system.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by taking into account the mass and position of each individual part of an object or system. It is found by taking the weighted average of the positions of these parts.

3. What is the significance of the center of mass?

The center of mass is significant because it helps us understand the overall behavior of an object or system. It can be used to predict motion, stability, and other physical properties.

4. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object if the object has an irregular shape or if there are multiple objects within a system. In these cases, the center of mass may be located in empty space.

5. How does the center of mass affect an object's stability?

The lower the center of mass is in an object, the more stable it will be. This is because a lower center of mass means the object is less likely to tip over or lose its balance. In contrast, a higher center of mass can make an object more unstable and prone to tipping over.